Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #1

atwood 8531 furnace help

Furnace blower runs even with furnace off on thermostat. It will run until battery is dead. Battery is charged and tank is full. The furnace worked at first but now doesn't. It does have a red light on( on the actual furnace). Would the thermostat.be bad? I read it also.could be a.bad board. If its the board where is it located?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it be a bad thermostat: I seriously doubt it, Unless the T-Stat has a setting to run the furnace fan and is "Stuck" and I do not think such a setting exists.

Could it be a bad control board: Odds very good.

Where is it located? If you go outside, and remove the 4 screws securing the cover for the furnace, then the cover you will see the board on the far left, A "Wing nut" holds a plastic backer in place, loosen (or remove) the nut and the board, and it's backer (Mounting bracket) should be easily removed part way, alas only part way.

You will see two heavy wires hooked to the board, ONE of them is the fan (The other is 12 volt battery power)

There is also another heavy wire hooked to the top of a black "Tower" or coil, that's the ignition/flame sense wire

And a molex connector with several wires,

Unplug all, have board tested by an Attwood service center (Perhaps Camping world) or...

I replaced mine with a Dinosaur board.

The dino board I used cost me 108 dollars shipping and handling included. The look and feel of the board was way better than the OEM.. ONe diffence is the board had some brass "Feet" and it appeared to me it would not hang onto the plastic backer/bracket properly so I added a pair of small zip ties to hold it (Bread ties would work as well). I tend to gush when talking about the dino board.. VERY WELL BUILT and superior in design too to the OEM. What I THINK caused my failure,,, Well.. On the Dino board there is an extra part that is not on the OEM.. appears to me to be there for the expressed purpose of making sure what I think happened to the original. DOES NOT HAPPEN to the replacement.. This.. I really respect.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

Do you have to go through the exhaust Vent? I have a cover, but it looks its to the Fridge not the cover. Its raining today so I can't go outside and investigate.

Thanks

Jason
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Since, I don't have an access cover that most Campers have. I have to work on it from the inside. The furnace has one LED on (no flashes) According Atwood diagnostics chart its the circuit board or the fan relay. I can't seem to find anything anywhere on how to access the board if there is no door.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

Have you tried turning the tstat switch off for a few minutes and back on again? When I first turned mine on ofter I got it and was going thru checking everything out the same thing happened to me. I had to turn it off and back on 3 times before it finally lit off. It was probably air in the lines since the tank valve had been shut off and the blower had run with the valve shut off.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

Yeah, I have tried turning the t-stat off and on several times. I would wait 5 or 10 minutes before I would turn it back on.

Here is what I have done do far. I have removed the furnace from under the fridge to inspect it(don't have outside access door.). A mouse has gotten in this compartment. Luckily, he couldn't get anywhere else in the camper. The mouse or vibrations knocked the circuit board off of the wing nut. Im thinking that the board might have grounded itself out. I have since reinstalled everything. The furnace fires right up everytime and no faults. Now, all I have to to do is seal up the hole that the propane line comes through the floor, and I'm good to go for now.

Tags
atwood, furnace