RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #1

Atwood Air Command A/C

Just learned about these, very interesting, anyone running one or switch to one? My 15k Dometic is unbelievably loud and so is my son in laws 13.5 Dometic. I had a ducted 13.5k Coleman Mach 3 + in my TT that was almost silent in comparison but I'm interested in the PS (power saver) for it's 1075 running watts. The Atwood 13.5 states 1270 running watts but equivalent btu's to a 16k unit and quiet too boot.

Atwood RV A/C

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Just learned about these, very interesting, anyone running one or switch to one? My 15k Dometic is unbelievably loud and so is my son in laws 13.5 Dometic. I had a ducted 13.5k Coleman Mach 3 + in my TT that was almost silent in comparison but I'm interested in the PS (power saver) for it's 1075 running watts. The Atwood 13.5 states 1270 running watts but equivalent btu's to a 16k unit and quiet too boot.

Atwood RV A/C

Jeff
I don't have one but I'm also interested in finding someone that does and seeing what their opinion is. I like quiet !! ... my Dometics are quite loud.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #3

I'm getting more and more interested in these.

Article at RV Business

“It wouldn’t make sense to brand our 16K equivalent model as a 13.5K if it outperforms the leading 15K,” said Director of Sales Bill Martin, RV OEM, noting that Air Command models easily retrofit into existing 13.5K and 15K Btu applications. “In real world terms, Air Command uses drastically less energy input while providing more cooling output. Our 16K equivalent models are so energy efficient that we have been able to operate them via a single 2kW generator.”

Martin added that Air Command units also reduce noise level with assistance from V-Flow, a proprietary air distribution method. “You have to hear these units in person to believe just how quiet they really are,” he said.

Trey Miller, director of aftermarket sales, noted, “There’s no question that Air Command is progressive, featuring 16K and 18K equivalent performance, but dealers and OEMs want to know about reliability, durability and serviceability. Air Command may be a new name to the U.S. market, but it’s nearly 80% of the market in Australia and has been a leading supplier there since 1978.”
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I've seen and "not heard" them in operation at several Dealer Shows. I now have two of the 15K heat pumps in my warehouse waiting for warm weather to install on my own coach. (Yet another week below freezing predicted here in PA.)

The test data from an independent lab was quite impressive. They are incredibly quiet, and the only A/C heat pump system to utilize separate fan and compressor motors, which is instrumental in lowering the startup current. Plus, it allows each motor to operate at the optimum speed for the conditions.

All the theory is good, and the demos are impressive, so now it is up to time and actual use.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
I now have two of the 15K heat pumps in my warehouse waiting for warm weather to install on my own coach.
What is in the coach now? Do you have access to a DB meter for before and after tests?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
What is in the coach now? Do you have access to a DB meter for before and after tests?
We have Coleman Mach II 15K A/C units now. I do not have a dedicated db meter, but I do have an app on my phone to get some comparisons.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The file is too big to attach here, but I have the A/C-Heat Pump presentation made by Atwood available on my website.

Atwood Command Air Presentation (pdf)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
We have Coleman Mach II 15K A/C units now. I do not have a dedicated db meter, but I do have an app on my phone to get some comparisons.
Excellent if you wouldn't mind. Real world comparisons are always fun.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
The file is too big to attach here, but I have the A/C-Heat Pump presentation made by Atwood available on my website.

Atwood Command Air Presentation (pdf)
Cool ... thanks !!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #10

Any updates?

I am looking at picking one of these up.

Have you looked at the install directions yet? Any idea how many low voltage wires need to go between the roof unit and the t-stat?
johndeerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
I haven't done the swap yet. It was 16 degrees here two days ago.. Winter just doesn't want to go away. I am not going to get these replaced until May. April is booked for me and with Easter in there, just not enough days in the month.

We're going to be doing two motorhomes at once. Replacing a pair of Coleman Mach III A/Cs in one and Dometic 15k A/Cs in the other.

If you're doing non-ducted units, it's a piece of cake and a simple swap. The ducted units look like there may be some additional work.

The one problem I'm seeing from reading the poor installation documentation, is controlling the propane furnace from the Air Command thermostat. I need to call Atwood support and clarify where the furnace wires get attached. It looks to me that we'll have to pull 3 or 4 additional wires from the existing thermostat location to the rooftop location.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

So....what do they cost? Cant seem to find that info.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #13

https://www.google.com/#q=atwood+air+command&safe=off
Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
OK. I installed four of these 15K heat pumps over the weekend. Two on my coach and two on a friends coach. I replace a pair of Coleman Mach IIIs ( both 15K) and the other rig was a pair of Dometic Brisk Airs ( one 13.5K and one 15K). These were both ducted installations.

The Air Command have their own digital thermostat using a proprietary comm. cable between the ceiling unit and the t-stat. We used the existing t-stat wire and spliced the proprietary connectors to it. Atwood just released some easy to use adapter cables for this purpose, but I was not able to get them in time for this install.
The only real "difficulty" was that my rig did not supply 12V to the ceiling unit. The Coleman t-stats sent the 12V to the ceiling unit via the 4 wire t-stat wiring, and we used those 4 wires for the new digital communications cable for the Atwood T-stats, so we did have to fish a 12V supply to the ceiling units. In the bedroom we were able to find constant 12V at a light switch and pulled a new wire through the foam insulation. In the LR, we pulled 12V from the Fantastic Fan next to the A/C. Over all not too bad. On Chucks rig the Dometic units already had 12V in the ceiling unit so that was a cake walk.

The Air Command units have a separate fan motor from the compressor motor. The nice thing about that feature is that each subsystem can run at it's own speed without compromising the other half. As the unit runs, you can hear the fan speed up and slow down depending on conditions.

I did do some basic sound level testing and both units showed about a 3 - 5 db reduction in sound when running at high speed when compared to the previous systems running on high speed.

Again, not a scientific test, but my Progressive surge protector was showing about 18 amps running the Colemans and 14 amps running the Atwoods. That equates to less fuel consumption when forced to use the generator.

Overall, I am very pleased with the initial experience, so now we have to see how they work with more real world use.

Tags
atwood