Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Atwood Excalibur 8500 Series III Furance

Ok...going through the systems as a finial check before I leave.

The rear furnace will fire up and shut off three times and then just the fan runs.

I'm assuming it is a thermocouple problem (flame comes on, heat comes out the exhaust (not plugged with wasp nests)).

The rear furnace has been questionable in the past.

Interestingly the thermocouple is not pictures in the manual.

It is a Atwood Excalibur 8500 Series III

The front one works fine so we are good for this trip as only the evenings will be cool (50 degrees).

I am trying to figure out how to remove the unit. Has anyone done that?

Anyone replaced the thermocouple in one of these? Part Number?

Yes there will be a new project posted on my thread when I get this done.

Here are my two units, with the covers removed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

I don't believe this furnace uses a thermal couple ; as such. The igniter probe and wire serves a dual purpose , delivers the spark then detects heat and reports to the control board.
I helped with a similar problem , and the flame diffuser had rusted out and wasn't directing the flame back at the probe.
Before you remove and look at the diffuser , I'd try swapping the control boards between the two furnaces , to confirm they're good.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I don't believe this furnace uses a thermal couple ; as such. The igniter probe and wire serves a dual purpose , delivers the spark then detects heat and reports to the control board.
I helped with a similar problem , and the flame diffuser had rusted out and wasn't directing the flame back at the probe.
Before you remove and look at the diffuser , I'd try swapping the control boards between the two furnaces , to confirm they're good.
Ok...going through the systems as a finial check before I leave.

The rear furnace will fire up and shut off three times and then just the fan runs.

I'm assuming it is a thermocouple problem (flame comes on, heat comes out the exhaust (not plugged with wasp nests)).

The rear furnace has been questionable in the past.

Interestingly the thermocouple is not picturered in the manual.

It is a Atwood Excalibur 8500 Series III

The front one works fine so we are good for this trip as only the evenings will be cool (50 degrees).

Has anyone removed one of these units from their coaches?

Anyone replaced the thermocouple in one of these? Part Number?

Here are my two units, with the covers removed.

Looking closer I found some mounting screws for the face plate that surrounds the furnaces.

Evidence that someone has been here before is visible, and I know who. Back when I was trying to be lazy and have work done for me I had Caledonia RV replace the blower motor in the front furnace because it was squealing. I now know that it was most likely not the blower motor but a misalignment of the squire cage fan blades.

Note the missing screws in the above picture and the screw in this picture that is in crooked. The only way that screw could be like that is if it was in the hole when the face plate was put back, because you cannot get a screw driver on the head of the screw. They were just to lazy to remove the face plate and install the screw correctly

I found two more screws up inside the compartment lip. This one is stripped out and is above the left furnace and will be a real pain to get out.

In addition there are screws through the floors of the furnaces and into the face plate. This is the rear furnace floor which is undisturbed.

This is the front one and the screws were replaced with screws with heads.

I have decided to stop at this point because I can see this developing into another project. The front furnace will be fine for this trip.

It has been suggested that "I don't believe this furnace uses a thermal couple ; as such. The ignition probe and wire serves a dual purpose , delivers the spark then detects heat and reports to the control board."

So until I know more this project is on hold.

Any input?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
GUESS WHAT!!!!!!

I above I was told that there is no thermocouple on this furnace. That it uses feedback from the ignition electrode.

It was suggested that the contact between the wire leading to the electrode and the circuit board can become corroded and the board will not see the small current feed back to indicate flame.

I went out and pulled the front cover, pulled the connector off and on several times to clean the contact, went inside and fired up the rear furnace.

It now works as it should!

It is 58 degrees here this morning and I have had the rear furnace running now for 30 minutes.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Glenn,
I’m having a similar issue and still trouble shooting. My issue is the font furnace would turn on; fan will start and try to ignite but fail on most occasions. I usually can shut off the furnace at the thermostat, wait 2 min, turn on and it will fire up. It will usually fire up fine all night once I get it to initially start, then if it sits for a few days it will not ignite on first attempt. So be careful thinking it is fixed. I replaced my sail switch and it fired right up, next time it did not. Today I will go and check connections. Since I have 2 furnaces and the rear one is working fine I will switch the circuit boards out and see what happens, I will also see about the connectors and clean those.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post
Glenn,
I’m having a similar issue and still trouble shooting. My issue is the font furnace would turn on; fan will start and try to ignite but fail on most occasions. I usually can shut off the furnace at the thermostat, wait 2 min, turn on and it will fire up. It will usually fire up fine all night once I get it to initially start, then if it sits for a few days it will not ignite on first attempt. So be careful thinking it is fixed. I replaced my sail switch and it fired right up, next time it did not. Today I will go and check connections. Since I have 2 furnaces and the rear one is working fine I will switch the circuit boards out and see what happens, I will also see about the connectors and clean those.
It has not failed again since the quick "clean" I did before I left. I will clean the terminal properly when I get the chance.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-18-2016, 04:41 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
I also did a quick cleaning of all my connectors and so far so good. I did switch our the boards and it worked fine in the back furnace. So knew it was not the board. Then I cleaned all connections. Will see in a few days how it goes, but for now it is running good.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood