Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Atwood furnace won't stay running

He Atwood furnace in our 2010 Suncrusier fires up air shuts down after around 5 minutes. The burner does light and some heat does come out of the ducts but the burner shuts down after around 5 minutes. The blower runs for a couple more minutes and finally shuts down. Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #2

Sounds like it's lighting but never sensing the heat. However, could be low LP pressure too.
Are you comfortable with 12VDC power or LP gas systems and measuring pressures?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Sounds like it's lighting but never sensing the heat. However, could be low LP pressure too. Are you comfortable with 12VDC power or LP gas systems and measuring pressures?
It does light up because I can feel the hot exhaust at the outlet...till it starts to cool off and shut down. If it is a possible propane pressure issue, it sounds like I need to take it to the dealer.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thermocouple? shuts down the gas flow if no flame, goes bad and erroneously shuts down the gas flow.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #5

In case anyone doesn't know:
T-stat calls for heat.
One way or another (direct from t-stat, from A/C control board, etc.), 12V+ signal gets to furnace control board.
Control board engages fan motor. Fan blows air.
Enough air flow makes sail switch close contacts, control board knows there is enough air flow.
Almost simultaneously, gas valve opens with 12V+, and ignitor relay begans sending electrical pulses to ignitor, creating sparks to light LPG.
Tries for a certain amount of time, usually three times.
If heat is sensed, gas valve keeps receiving 12V+ to stay open, sparking stops.
T-stat turns off signal for heat once heat is achieved, gas valve shuts off LPG, control keeps blowing fan motor to cool off burner chamber.

Problems that can happen with ignition but flame goes out after sparking stops:
Flame not sensed via flame sensor, wire, connections, or control board. Flame bad via bad burner, clogged orifice/flow/burner, low LPG pressure under heavy flow load, clogged burner chamber.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We took the MH to camping World today to get the furnace looked at. They checked it and couldn't find anything wrong. They said it ran for 20 minutes with no issue. I asked them to check everything one more time. We left it and went back later. Everything checked out ok. It was outside waiting to go home. They did say to take it and keep checking it for a couple days. If no problem they would send me the bill. If acts up again, bring it back. So, I went out to start the furnace one more time before I left. I found the the thermostat was already on gas heat, 50 degrees inside, temp set to 75. Furnace not running. So, back in I went...

They sent out a tech. He shut it off and re-started it. No heat. He then lit the stove and it had a very low flame. It looks like the regulator in the gas line is bad. While replacing the regulator they also found a leak in the gas line. I hope this does the trick. We're planning on leaving for Florida this weekend!