Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Atwood Gas/Electric Hot Water Heater Lockout Issue

Felllow RVer's,

I have this switch configuration on my Bounder and this past weekend I got the dreaded red light, which indicates that the system has gone into faul and is locked out. Did some testing and determined that my "LOCKOUT" was due to the thermostat not shutting off the unit at the right temp. My elec and also tried it with gas, both raised the water temp to 150 degrees, at which time an overload shut down the system and emitted the RED LIGHT. By my testing it should shut off ~120 to 130 degrees.

I then ran out the scolding hot water, let it cool down then fired it back up on the electric mode and it worked great the rest of the weekend. So now the task it to try and figure out what is going on and what is failing?

Any ideas????

Is it the TSTAT - Thermostat?
The brain box?
Or a once in a while deal that is normal with Camping?

BounderFreddy

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look at figure 12 in this document and check wiring connections for thermal controls, high & low make sure they are clean and tight.
Flushing out tank may have solved your problem with these sensors.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the response. I did notice the spade connector which has the filament type wire looked a bit corroded, which I find a bit odd, as this is an 07 and is kept in a humidity controlled shop when not on the road. I slid this spade apart and back together several times, cleaning it against itself, perhaps that did it...

BounderFreddy

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
bounder freddy

I too am having a problem with the gas heater. turned it on for the first time and thought it was gonna burn the paint off the outside of the coach. the flame is much to high. my red light comes on when i use the propane which i thought was right.i will have it serviced as soon as possible. meanwhile whats the red light for ??

Clifftall 2008 35e
Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
clifftal, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums.
If the water heater burner fails to ignite, the light will come on as a warning; to let you know it failed. You can simple turn it off and back on to go thru another ignition sequence of tries. Many times after storage the air must be purged out of the lines to get a good ignition at various burners on the lp gas system.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks. it's good to see that there are people like you out there. we also have a shih-tzu . Buddy has been to 49 states 10 canadian provinces and the yukon terr.