Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

We are set for our first trip tomorrow. I am testing the hot water heating. Turned the hot water heater switch on for gas, I know it's lighting but no hot water. Am I missing something?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #2

We are set for our first trip tomorrow. I am testing the hot water heating. Turned the hot water heater switch on for gas, I know it's lighting but no hot water. Am I missing something?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #3

You're getting cold water from the hot water faucet, right? If yes, the next item is the bypass valves, are they in the correct position? Top = open, center = closed(completely), bottom = open. If the valves are correct, and the heater is filled with water, and if the main burner is operating, you must have hot water-somewhere.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #4

Yes, cold water from the hot water faucet (I'm testing in the kitchen).

I thought about the bypass valve after I posted. To be honest I'm not sure exactly where it is (first MH for us. It's an 2008 Astoria 3776). I did however find a switch in the bedroom. When I turned that switch a red light came on by the switch. If this isn't the bypass swich where else might I find it? My manual is useless.

Now, after testing again the flame will stay lit for maybe a couple of minutes before going out. I'm assuming it needs to be lit for the hot water heater to work.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #5

The bypass valves will be on the back side of the heater. You may need to look behind a cabinet to see the back of the heater. Mine is behind a solid panel in the kitchen, and I must remove a drawer above that panel to get to the valves. These valves are manual, since they only get used twice a year normally.

Your description sounds like the propane line has some air bubbles in it. Light the stove burners for a few minutes to clear the air to that point. Now re-light the heater, keep doing so until it remains lit to clear any remaining air. If the main burner is going out, check to see if the ignition sensor (small round tube about the size of pencil lead) is directly in the flame and spiders, wasps, muddaubers, haven't built a nest in the burner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #6

Thank you Ray. I will check all of the above.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #7

I forgot___, if your heater has a 120v electric heating element, turn it on to see if you can get hot water. But-make absolutely sure the heater is full of water, otherwise you will burn it out.
a tip- We always turn the propane heater off when we don't need hot water, it stays hot enough for hand washing most of the day. We turn on upon arising, turn off after breakfast dishes are done (my job), on again at dinner, off again after evening showers. This really saves propane. After just a few days you'll find the routine that works best for your family.
I'm gonna need to sign off, I have a 6AM appt. Good Luck, and have lots of fun!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #8

Thanks Ray. Well I believe I found the bypass, at least the hot water heater and what according to my directions looks like it should be the bypass. I did read somewhere where someone else said they had the same heater and had two valves. Oh, I don't know...

I did check for wasp nests. Found one behind the metal panel. Forgot to look at the ignition sensor. Will go back out.

Ran the stove test two times. Still went out.

I appreciate your help!!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the world of RV's. We have many, many, many funny stories in our learning curve. I wonder what kind and year of RV you have, that may help with diagnostics. In our first coach, a '95 Safari, we couldn't get anything to work... hot water switch I would turn on, it would stay lit for ten seconds or so and go out, what I learned was even though the light went out, the hot water was working. Also, if you haven't already, post in the owner's forum of your brand. Good luck, and a sense of humor is your best accessory!

Brenda, of...
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #10

Hi Brenda! Yes, this is such a learning curve. My dh isn't really the handy one, so I'm trying to figure it all out and troubleshoot. Works my patience.

Well so far I have successfully turned the bypass valve. Actually heard that darn water go in there. Who knew??

Now the flame is staying on. So it must have had an automatic setting to go off if it's not full of water?

New question I have is how long does it take to heat the water when you first start it?

BTW, we have a 2008 Astoria 3776. I need to post in the owners forum. Once we get settled into our new place, I'll do just that. And I need to figure out the signature thing. I feel naked without one.

T
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #11

It's HOT! Thank you Ray for your help. You saved us from a cold shower while on the road.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hooray! Good job, Ray and group! Enjoy those hot showers!

Brenda, of...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #13

I'm glad to be of assistance. Hope your trip goes well, if you experience future problems, we're all here to help each other. None of us know it all, all of us,collectively, probably do know it all.