Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Atwood Hot Water Heater Trouble Shooting

Just got a used tt with an Atwood Hot Water Heater, works both on propane and shore electric. Unoit works well on gas, but I cannot get it to work on 110v AC. The Atwood literature that came with the trailer seems to be no help. Can anyone direct me to a trouble shooting tree? Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
Just got a used tt with an Atwood Hot Water Heater, works both on propane and shore electric. Unoit works well on gas, but I cannot get it to work on 110v AC. The Atwood literature that came with the trailer seems to be no help. Can anyone direct me to a trouble shooting tree? Thanks
Check for circuit breaker being tripped and make sure that you have water in the heater before turning electric on or it will blow the heating element out... Jim
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A lot of TT's don't have water heaters with the 120 volt heating element. Are you sure yours has one? If it does then you need to check the heating element as they can burn out if turned on with no water in the unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #4

Next time I pick up my TT I will take a picture of the schematic (it's a 10gal unit in a 2005 not sure of model off hand). I had to replace my heater element due to turning on electric without water in it, was only on for about a min but that's all it takes.
bt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

thanks to all, elec is on, will check heater element
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #6

Basically follow the line of wiring, and see were you lose power.
Which model number WH is it and does the control board have one or two wiring harness plugs at it?
Some only have 120V switches, some use 12V to close a relay to engage the 120V element.
But start at the breaker, see if you have a switch on a cabinet or wall, test it. Switch at the WH, test it. Could be a t-stat and eco just for 120V. Then the element itself.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Here are some pictures from the manual hope they help.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4124021884.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	40032

Name:	image-100368359.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	40033

Name:	image-1330628466.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	40034
bt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #8

Smile maybe can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltrdr View Post
I have had lots of different issues. My first thought after reading your quote is that there is a reset button on the back of (my) the tank. It was very hard to find as it was indented. You have to use a pencil eraser (or some thing like that) to push it in which resets the 110 side of the heater. You might have to pull the heater out of its location to get at the back. I would get proper documentation before doing so. Good luck hope that helps
barrydj13657 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater, water