Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

atwood water heater

When I bought my used RV the water heater was not working. I figured that it would not be too hard to figure out and fix. I did some basic troubleshooting and thought that the control board was bad. I just got the new one in and that was not the issue. I started to think about it and realized that the system had been drained for the winter. I thought that maybe it would at least light but maybe go out when it since there is no water in it. Could this be my issue? if so is there a way to check it so I dont have to fill the tank right now?
Bretrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

What model and year of water heater do you have?
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Not having water in the tank should not really matter....just don't let it stay that way when you do light the WH. Suggest you do a forum search since I have seen several recent posts on this concern. You might also try the Atwood website for tech info, especially if you do not have an owner's manual. Most times, this concern seems to be resolved by cleaing the burner tube and/or ensuring all of the various electrical contacts are solid.

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out....thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would check for continuity on the thermal cutoff, looks something like a diode in plastic tube with spade connectors on each end.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

#1instruction in the Attwood service guide is that it is unlikely to be a fault in the control board and there are other things to try first. Check all the spade quick-connects and make sure they are clean.

Are you operating the correct switch, as some have separate switches for propane and mains heating.

Check that you have 12V to the board - see circuit diagram on the attwood site.

Over temperature cut off tripped (may be a button in the middle of the thermostat)

Does the ignitor spark and the solenoid valve operate.

etc etc
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
What model and year of water heater do you have?

it is a G6A-8E in my 2001 R-vision.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

download the Atwood manual here: manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwood-Water-Heater-Service.pdf
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #8

The switch inside the coach checks out with 12 V on both sides when in the one position. The indicator light does not come on at all. I do not think that I am getting any power to the board which I think gets power from the thermostat. I need to go on the atwood site. I did bypass the diode and that did nothing. I am getting no sounds and it is not even trying to start. All of the contacts look pretty good. I ordered the thermostat since it is $10 anyway.

Tags
atwood, heater, water