Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Atwood Water Heater and heavy rain

Atwood G6A-8E 6 gal water heater.
When it rains heavy the ceramic electrode gets wet and will not ignite.
I called atwood and their suggestion was to buy a spare electrode to use during this time.
Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone thought of a different way to solve this problem?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm struggling to see how getting wet would bother the electrode, unless it is defective and shorting internally. I'd try replacing it, if you are convinced that is the problem.

The electrode sparks by arcing to the surrounding metal burner tube. If that area is really wet, it may conduct well enough that it doesn't arc at all. If that's the case, you will have to shield it somehow to keep the water out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #3

Your water heater is probably as protected from rain as others, so you have something to fix. Start with the spade connectors and plug and unplug them. Contact cleaner sprayed on is always a good idea. The next thing is to change the gap of the arc. You may have a gap that is marginal and then fails in humid weather. You might try cleaning the area around the arc. I would try compressed air.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did all the normal troubleshooting and checking for voltage, contacts etc.. after the first time it happened.
It stops lighting after heavy rains ( while sitting parked) and would start working after an hour or so on the road which dried it out. Heavy rain is the key here, works fine in light rain or humidity. I called atwood, and the tech at atwood informed me that the ceramic electrode was getting saturated with water and not allowing a spark; and there was no fix except to carry a spare. I have tried (successfully) heating with flame to dry it out and it works ok. I don't always fire up the water heater at night so if it pours this is what happens.
The is no way to manually light the burner on these models.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Jim and others, I have the same model water heater as you do and have not had the problem you are experiencing. Let's try another approach.

On ours, there is a twist lock connector that holds the door closed and prevents water, even in a heavy rain, from getting into the WH electronics. In addition, I have a screen over the outside "fins" on the door to protect the WH from mud dauber wasp nests. Perhaps that screen is also helping to deflect direct penetration of water into the compartment.

In your place, I'd be looking at how the door seals to the outside in case water is running down the side of the RV, over the door lip and flooding the WH compartment. I would guess that you could go to some sort of a putty along the upper lip of the door to further isolate water penetration. I'd concentrate on the top of the door area unless there is some kind of a bow or gap along the sides. You could simulate a heavy rain with a garden hose and see how the water is actually getting into the compartment.

Just my $.02 worth.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks chasfm11 --
I never had this problem on my previous motorhome or trailer. The door looks normal and locks tight. Maybe someone has had the same problem - I was thinking about a foam weather strip or equivalent - the tech didn't seem all that surprised which is what made me wonder if it has happened before.
The hose is a great idea I'll give it a shot the next warm day lol
Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found the problem but not the answer yet.
I was wrong , closes tight but it is not shutting completely. The flue box sticks out too far and hits the grill when the door is shut. This is holding the door out about a quarter of an inch or so.
Not sure how to fix this aside from cutting the flue box down a little. It was like that on delivery so it has not been touched since Winnebago installed it.

edit:

I called atwood and they said I have to twist things around to make it fit and it was just that the factory didn't take the time to do that.