Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Atwood water heater issues

Hello Everyone,

Hoping you can help me figure this one out. I have a Atwood 6 gallon electronic ignition water heater in my trailer. The last couple times we have been out It's been acting up. Sometimes when I turn on the water heater all is well where as at other times I get a weak flame that actually does not shoot through the burner tube but comes backs out. It's as though I'm not getting any pressure from the valve. I looked for bugs and cleaned the tubes, valve nozzle, and electronic connections. The unit ran a bit longer but once again started to throw a weak flame. Please help...

Thank you
Anthony714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Sorry for this question, but did you verify that you have good propane flow by turning on the burners on your stove? I once had this sort of problem and found that there was liquid (water?) in my propane line. You might also need to replace the regulator.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #3

I ran the burners for a bit before turning on the water heater. They ran just fine.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try adjusting the adjustable air orfice, looking for a robust blue flame with a little yellow on the tip.

If you don't have a manual download one from Atwoods site.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

That was actually my last attempt at fixing it. Here's the kicker that I forgot to mention. Sometimes the flame only comes out of the nozzle like a pilot flame. Then sometimes it makes it to the burner tube. I called Atwood and they suggested running a brush through the burner tube all the way through. My mistake for not doing this, I blew compressed air through it. He said it could be a spider nest but its odd that it will work then it won't. It's been about a year since I last used the trailer. Do you think the lines coming from the tanks just have bad gas in them?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #6

I think you have junk in there. Clean the tube, clean the orifice. Is your diverter paddle on the end of the tube ok?
If all that is fine, you might have a gas valve not sending enough flow.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #7

The paddle looks good. I'm going to run a brush through the tube and see if that does the trick. If that doesn't work more than likely it's the valve like you said. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #8

Cleaned the burner tube and heat tube, no luck. Ended up buying a new solenoid valve because I'm thinking this is the issue. Just a FYI Camping World wanted $217, Atwood wanted $157, and Adventure RV wanted $96. Tried to get Camping World to match the price because they had it in stock and they didn't want to touch it. Keep Adventure RV in mind if you ever need anything.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #9

Update, replaced the valve and the problem went away. Now it looks as though I just need a thermostat because the it won't shut off. If it isn't one thing it's another. Can't cry about another 20 bucks though. Saved a fortune on the valve.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony714 View Post
Update, replaced the valve and the problem went away. Now it looks as though I just need a thermostat because the it won't shut off. If it isn't one thing it's another. Can't cry about another 20 bucks though. Saved a fortune on the valve.
Be sure you did not disturb the thermostat that cuts the heat. It has a spring that keeps it against the tank.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a 10 gallon Attwood gas/electric water heater and the electric side is not comming on.... Anyone have any ideas? Water heater and washer/dryer are on same breaker and washer works fine. I have looked on every panel for another breaker and don't find one.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
I have a 10 gallon Attwood gas/electric water heater and the electric side is not comming on.... Anyone have any ideas? Water heater and washer/dryer are on same breaker and washer works fine. I have looked on every panel for another breaker and don't find one.
I assume you've turned on the electric element at the switch next to where you turn it on for propane?

It may well be that you had it turned on when there was no water in the tank, which will kill the element in under 10 seconds. Next step is to measure the voltage at the element terminals. If you've got voltage there, then turn everything off, disconnect the element and measure it's resistance. If it's open-circuit, it's burned out. Fortunately they're quite inexpensive.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks I will try that.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
One other thing... Even when on straight propane it never gets hot. It will get warm to tell me it is heating some but it doesn't last but a few seconds then it gets cool then back to warm then back to cool. It will not stay constant warm let alone hot.