Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #1

Atwood Water Heater problem

My 2001 WInnebago Brave has model GH6-8E Atwood water heater. When turned on the pilot light indication is normal and the burner comes on, however it will run for only about five minutes and then shut down. It cannot be restarted for about an hour after that. I have replaced the Thermal cut-off, ECO T-stat & thermostat, and the circuit board, No fuses or breakers are blowing.

I have put it to JustAnswer but I am locked out of the site for some reason.

Frustrated,

Phil
pcoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #2

Atwood WH

Phil your 6 gallon water heater has electronic ignition (and motor aid) and the ignitor for the propane is also the flame sensor that sends a signal back to the control board once the flame has started and then the board will the keep the gas valve open- if the sensor is dirty or corroded or defective usually it will not send a signal back to the board and then the gas valve shuts off after 5- 10 seconds of running but I have seen defective ones work for a short time and then cut out- try cleaning it first and setting the air gap and then if it still does the same thing then replacment is required - I would also check to make sure you have 12 volts to the WH and the propane system pressure to make sure its o.k. and also clean out the combustion chamber with compressed air while your at it -(wear safety glasses) since you replaced the c. board and the thermal c-off and the tstat and ECO switch check the ignitor next - you can check Atwoods website for the parts manual and wiring diagram and www.bryantrv.com -they have a service manual with diagrams, pictures and troublshooting guide.
RV Mech Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoopy View Post
...the pilot light indication is normal and the burner comes on
...run for only about five minutes and then shut down.
I suspect the controls are doing what they are supposed to

Quote:
I have replaced the Thermal cut-off, ECO T-stat & thermostat, and the circuit board, No fuses or breakers are blowing.
and that NONE of these items needed to be replaced.

something *else* is going on here...
like the water isn't being replenished fast enough and so it overheats
but the controls are doing their job

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure the water heater has not been in by-pass, where there is no water passing through the tank. Open the pressure relief valve to see if there is any pressure. If not then it is in by-pass.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #5

Along with JustAnswer, RV Wizard hit the nail on the head. My bypass valve is labeled so that it looks like it is in normal when it is in bypass. Expensive fix replacing those good parts.(LOL) Thanks guys.

Phil
pcoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might want to check your ''high limit'' switch. It is a switch that turns your heater off if the water gets too hot. (this prevents explosion in some cases) If the high limit kicks out (or in) your water heater will not run until it resets its self and this is automatic. ..... as I remember the ''high limit'' is on the front of the heater but dont bet your lunch on that information.
if you use this information and it works for your.... YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY ME TEN CENTS the next time you see me... If it dont work for you ...I NEVER KNEW YOU.....
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and real soon
God bless our vets .... ALL GAVE SOME ... SOME GAVE ALL
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

What is by-pass mode or setting? It is not mentioned in the Atwood manual.
Thanks
Rhfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #8

hi the buypass is not part of the wh itself it is added on when the unit is built it alows using antifreze to winterise the water system without filling the w/h but if you have cold water flowing from the hot focets the trouble is elceware lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote