Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Atwood/Wedgewood countertop stove

I just bought a Atwood CA 35 stainless steel countertop stove to replace my Amana stove. The reasons for replacing it are many; hard to light, burners hard to clean, enamel chipping, grate too heavy for grommets (always replacing them) and controlling the rear burners was a challenge.

The new stovetop is a mixed blessing. It is not a direct replacement fit for the old one. I need to remove the metal plates on the opening side, cut about an inch from the side rails and get the shields back into place. (I think they are supports for the cabinet.) The burners, controls and lighting are first class in construction and function. That is where quality and function seem to stop. The sheet-metal base is flimsy and has no back. This unit is a universal thing made to stand alone or fit on the oven. The top has a stove vent in the rear that is open to the drawer below and I will have to find a way to protect its contents from cooking splatter and cleanup debris.

We have cooked on it a couple of times. The stainless steel surface seems a bit discolored but that could just be the manufacturing oils that did not get cleaned off. I need to try a "Bar Keepers" cleaning when I get a moment.

This is the second stove I bought. I ordered both through Amazon.com. Some how the order from American RV got translated to the wrong stove model. As soon as I saw the error on the shipping notice I contacted the supplier. They ABSOLUTELY refused to help me in correcting the order before it left the shipping dock and required me to ship it back as "Refused" then charged me $57.07 for the privilege of returning what I never ordered. Too boot the mess up, American RV showed it as "Free Shipping".

The stove I got was from Boat and RV Accessories and I had to pay shipping but the price was within pennies of the defunct order. I had no problems with this order.

If anyone has suggestions as to how I can correct the installation challenges please feel free to post them. Knowing what I know now I would not have gotten this stove. But, the challenge was to find a RV stove that would directly replace the Amana. Obviously I didn't succeed.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
atwood