Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #1

Atwood X Series Problem

I have had the same vehicle from new 2008 Fleetwood Excursion which has an Atwood X Series water heater installed.

We use the vehicles water heater on gas and electric most weeks and have up until now had no issues.

Last week we arrived at a camp site and plugged in as usual and were just about to go put or the evening so I turned on the electric water heater we closed the door as we were leaving to go out for the evening I noticed white smoke bellowing from the water heater box so I quickly turned the system off. Attached are some photos of the control board.

I checked the wiring on the 4 pin top plug and this had a 12v live present on the white when the electric water heating switch was turned on and the 12v on the orange when the Gas switch was turned. There were no other 12v live present. So I put this down to a faulty board and promptly ordered a new replacement board.

When the new board arrived I again tested for 12v in the correct place and was happy that the wiring and the voltage was correct so I plugged in the new board and after three very load pops the same thing happened the board started to melt, it looks like its the pin 1 that must get the hottest as this has burned through the plastic plug adaptor (that plugs onto the pins) See attached photos.

I'm, at a loss as to know where to start looking and hopped that someone could give me some pointers?

I don't have any issues removing the tank (as I have done this previously to change a relay on a friends water heater) I just don't want to waste money on buying loads of circuit boards. The other thing that it strange is that in your information that Atwood provide says "that there is a 2 amp fuse fitted to prevent short circuit", well this clearly isn't the case as the board that would have set my RV on fire still has the 2 amp fuse in tact and the new board that equally melted also still has the fuse in tact.

If anyone can advise me on what the most probable cause is I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Glenn
RVT_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi Glenn,

Your pictures didn't post. Can you try posting them again? No other problems with other 12V circuits?

Mark
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 AM   #3

Problem solved (I hope)

Hi Mark
Thanks for the speedy response, I did receive a response fro a very helpful man called Jeff from Atwood, and after a few quick tests it looks as though we may have solved the problem.

The plastic retaining washers that hold the spring down on the thermostat had broken and fallen off. This resulted in a direct short and therefore why the unit was frying. I won't know for sure until I fit the new parts ( ordered yesterday)

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Glenn
RVT_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood