Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Auto Generator Start Question

The coach is a Itasca 36M, Residental frige, Factory installed 2800 Inverter
with extra batteries.
The genset is controlled with a cummins onan energy command 30 remote panel.
Start up for low batt voltage, inhibit for quiet time all seem to function correctly.
The problem (if in fact it is one) If left in auto start enable the genset will run if air cond is called for. The command 30 does recognize shore power (it is part of the check out procedure) .
I would prefer shore power to inhibit all auto gen starts (including a/c)
or am I missing something?
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are on shore power the Inverter/Charger should keep the batteries charged enough to prevent the Gen from starting.

Maybe the AC temp is set to low for the auto start.
Isn't it adjustable?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I understand , if I keep the A/C off the generator will not auto start for A/C my question is Should "shore power present" overide the auto start or must I keep the gen start in manual when connected to shore power.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
From the Onan WEB site

Quote:
– Starts and stops the generator as required to maintain battery health
Will only start the generator if shorepower is NOT present
– Automatic generator turn on to meet air conditioning demands if coach gets too hot
The EC30 has to be pluged into a non inverted AC receptacle to sense when shore power is disconnected.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

Question...30 or 50 amp coach?

If 30 amp and more than one AC the unit could be assuming generator needed
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grandpa time

The answer to you question is yes, the gens set should not start if AC is present. The EC-30 has a lead that senses a low voltage from a wall wart to determine if AC is present. Check with Winn to see where AC is sensed. It does not connect directly to 110 volts and most if not all outlets in Winn coaches have all interior outlets fed thru the inverter so you have an issue with Winn.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have the Wireless EC-30 or the hardwired?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My EC30 is hardwired,(by Winnebago).
1. I can verify shore power present (or not) on screen.
2. The gen autostarts if the air cond controller calls for cooling(RVComfort cz)
3. The magnum inverter controller is selected off.
4. The powerline energy management shows 50 amp service(by design it only shows actual amp draw if connected to 30A or on gen)
5. There are no error or system failure messages anywhere.
6. I am using cummins onan EC30 instruction manual rev 4 (8-2011)
7.The EC30 software is version 2.10
Sooooooo...... Once again The air conditioner system is telling the auto gen to cool the coach even though there is shore power available to do it. My question is why?
If there is a reason for it can someone tell me (Winnebago cannot or willnot and at cummins/onan.....you have to talk to the other guy and he isn't here today.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest you download a copy of the EC-30 "Operator and Installation Manual". Clearly your unit is not functioning properly. There is a test section at the rear to test the "Shore Power Present" indication. It involves turning the AC off to the Coach and observing the display and the turning the AC back on and observing the display. If the information displayed does not change, it likely means that the sense lead is connected through an inverter powered outlet. You should also read the install section for the shore power sense.
Assuming that you get the correct results for that test (indication changes), I would contact Onan and advise them that the unit it defective. If it is under the Winnebago warranty, they will send you to their dealer who likely won't be as conversant as you are by that time. The other alternative is to ask Onan if their dealer will fix it. It is very easy to remove - the faceplate is magnetic and there is a 16 pin connector on the wiring harness that will completely disconnect the unit. All details are in the manual.
Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator