Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Exclamation Automatic generator start system/Generator/shoreline automatic changeover switc

Need some help! Does this operate the way a whole house generator operates? Shore power is lost for whatever reason causing this unit to switch on the generator restoring power to all or a portion of the coach? This is standard equipment in the coach we are looking at purchasing?
Rac912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

YES..........
On loss of AC Shore Power the Generator will Auto Start and then after a delay (gen get up to speed/voltage--Hz) then the Auto Transfer Switch will swap from shore side input to generator side input \\\\\output is to main AC Panel (Shore or Gen)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

Yes. depending on the system the gen will come on if batterys are low,The ac has a needs to come on ect. On ours just disconnecting from shore switches to inverter then if voltage goes below a set point then it comes on to recharge the system. If you share the rig your looking into someone with specific knowledge will respond with a more accurate answer.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YES..........
On loss of AC Shore Power the Generator will Auto Start and then after a delay (gen get up to speed/voltage--Hz) then the Auto Transfer Switch will swap from shore side input to generator side input \\\\\output is to main AC Panel (Shore or Gen)

Oh really? On what coach does it work this way?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #5

The basic setup is if you start the generator it will run 15 to 20 seconds and then the transfer switch will switch the MH to generator power.

This is regardless to the power cord being plugged in or not.

The auto start is an optional feature that needs to be user set. Otherwise you couldn't unplug the cord without the generator starting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

YES.......... On loss of AC Shore Power the Generator will Auto Start and then after

Thanks Old- Biscuit, still trying fo figure this all out. That is how I thought it would work but a bit concerned that the sales staff could not answer the same question😁!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Yes. depending on the system the gen will come on if batterys are low,The ac has a needs to come on ect. On ours just disconnecting from shore switches to inverter then if voltage goes below a set point then it comes on to recharge the system. If you share the rig your looking into someone with specific knowledge will respond with a more accurate answer.
Thanks IASM!

The coach is a 2016 Itasca Sunova
Old 01-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
To clear up some of the confusion within this thread, there are many types and models of Automatic Generator Start systems (AGS).

Some are standalone systems such as the Onan model EC-30W AGS. Others are connected to the Inverter/Charger that is in the coach.

None of these will instantaneously start the generator if shore power has been severed except for the Onan EC-30W. I will explain that later.

Here is how the AGS system is designed and works for all except for the Onan EC-30W.

First off you must have have your Inverter turned on with the AGS programmed correctly and in standby mode when hooked to shore power. Once shore power is severed the Inverter instantaneously powers the 120 VAC devices in the coach that are wired to the Inverter. These are devices that do NOT draw a lot of watts. Roof top A/C's and other high power eating devices will not be on the Inverter.

Second, when the House Battery bank Ampere Hours (AH) are used up to the point where the batteries are now 50% State Of Charge (SOC) which that setting has to be set in the parameters of the Inverter AGS system, the AGS will start the generator. This causes your Automatic Transfer Switch (ATC) to switch over from shore power to generator power.

Some AGS systems are programmed for SOC on the battery bank only, others can also be programmed to respond to the inside temperature of the coach when the A/C's go off once shore power has been severed.

Now for the Onan EC-30W. This is a standalone wireless AGS system that can be programmed for both SOC and coach temperature. Because it is plugged into an outlet that is NOT powered from the Inverter, it knows instantaneously when shore power has been severed. Therefore it can be programmed to start the generator the instant shore power has been severed. Thereby not waiting until the batteries get to 50% SOC or waiting until the inside coach temperature increases to the set point of the AGS.

I hope this helps!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
To clear up some of the confusion within this thread, there are many types and models of Automatic Generator Start systems (AGS).

Some are standalone systems such as the Onan model EC-30W AGS. Others are connected to the Inverter/Charger that is in the coach.

None of these will instantaneously start the generator if shore power has been severed except for the Onan EC-30W. I will explain that later.

Here is how the AGS system is designed and works for all except for the Onan EC-30W.

First off you must have have your Inverter turned on with the AGS programmed correctly and in standby mode when hooked to shore power. Once shore power is severed the Inverter instantaneously powers the 120 VAC devices in the coach that are wired to the Inverter. These are devices that do NOT draw a lot of watts. Roof top A/C's and other high power eating devices will not be on the Inverter.

Second, when the House Battery bank Ampere Hours (AH) are used up to the point where the batteries are now 50% State Of Charge (SOC) which that setting has to be set in the parameters of the Inverter AGS system, the AGS will start the generator. This causes your Automatic Transfer Switch (ATC) to switch over from shore power to generator power.

Some AGS systems are programmed for SOC on the battery bank only, others can also be programmed to respond to the inside temperature of the coach when the A/C's go off once shore power has been severed.

Now for the Onan EC-30W. This is a standalone wireless AGS system that can be programmed for both SOC and coach temperature. Because it is plugged into an outlet that is NOT powered from the Inverter, it knows instantaneously when shore power has been severed. Therefore it can be programmed to start the generator the instant shore power has been severed. Thereby not waiting until the batteries get to 50% SOC or waiting until the inside coach temperature increases to the set point of the AGS.

I hope this helps!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks sooo much for your time in giving such a detailed response! From one corner of the country to the other...!
👍
Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #10

Just be sure that whatever system you have will disconnect from the CG power pole, otherwise your generator will be trying to power the whole CG system.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Just be sure that whatever system you have will disconnect from the CG power pole, otherwise your generator will be trying to power the whole CG system.
Not to many people order that option.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #12

I have 50 amp service and was plugged into a land source! When I started my generator it blew the gfi plug. Did not do any damage to Motorhome or land circuit! Is this normal? Gmann55
2008 Georgetown 370 Motorhome !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #13

I guess I'm old-fashioned. I kinda like it that nothing starts automatically. The transfer switch- that's pretty simple, and I can live with its "automation." Ditto for the changeover of the refrigerator from gas to electric. But having a 4kW-or-larger system start on its own... I don't think so. No ding on those who have them and like them, though.

I suppose it's no surprise I'd much prefer a car without power windows or power locks. ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Roof top A/C's and other high power eating devices will not be on the Inverter.
Actually that was an option in the rig we have, unfortunately ours doesn't have it. They added a second inverter and two add'l 8-D AGM batteries for the option and it ran the front heat pump only.
On our 2000 Dutch Star we had Camping World put in a 2,500 watt inverter. I thought they would know how to wire it and they proved me wrong! We could run both heat pumps off the inverter, one at a time. But it would exhaust the batteries in less than 20 min.

Quote:
That wouldn't work on some rigs (ours included) as all the outlets run through the inverter, same with our 2002 DSDP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator