Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #15

Is it possible Chuck does not have an inverter subpanel like most newer coaches do? If this is the case, he would need to wire his inverter to the entire coach to power his tv etc. His method would be the simplest without major wiring mods.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Chuck, Lets try something really simple. Go to your coach, Is it plugged in? Start the AC, make shure the inverter is on, now that it is running shut shore power off. Does the AC continue to run?
The reason the AC units won't continue to run is THERE NEVER HAS BEEN A BOUNDER WIRED THAT WAY.
Bill
Bill, This Bounder never had an inverter until I installed this one. It now runs the fridge ONLY via a separate single output line run to an outlet behind the fridge and is in no way connected to anything else in the coach. So your suggestion is not a consideration nor is it helpful. I want to connect the inverter to the main panel using a manual transfer switch and eliminating the current and old automatic transfer switch. After the install of the manual switch, I can choose the breakers I want to run off the inverter with the switch at the inverter position. Don't want to reinvent the wheel, get into a complicated rewiring or additional subpanels. I have done this a hundred times in marine applications. All I wanted was a little input from anyone else that has done this so I could be aware of any issues to look for in an RV application. Since I have little feedback from anyone that has made the switch, I will move on with the project using my past experience. So let's just leave it at that. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #17

Chuck I had a 1987 Itasca that had the 3 switch with inverter/ converter was added later and worked fine. They don't understand it will not switch as a main source unless you switch it.
Go for it.
Kenaleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaleslie View Post
Chuck I had a 1987 Itasca that had the 3 switch with inverter/ converter was added later and worked fine. They don't understand it will not switch as a main source unless you switch it.
Go for it.
Much appreciated. Chuck
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"So your suggestion is not a consideration nor is it helpful." Well yes it is because it exposes a lack of knowledge and skill/ability. Any competent mecanic could wire the inverter to only the circuits needed and not just do a connection to the main power supply line requiring a additional switch.
"I have done this a hundred times in marine applications." Having done something wrong a hundred times doesn't make it right.
I would highly recommend you take your coach to someone who is qualified to do this kind of work.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #20

If the switch you want to install needs to be switched manually, wont the fridge lose power if for some reason the shore power goes out, and you are not there to switch over to inverter. What else besides your fridge do you want to power? Probably just the lights and tv. This would be just as easy to add a small subpanel with those circuits on it. Seems like just as much work to add a switch that needs to be changed manually. Every time you want to run your generator, you will need to switch it as well. I would think resale value on the unit could be affected. Most people don't like things that have been tinkered with, and re-engineered. Just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #21

[Mod Edit]

winniman, Good point. But the fridge will keep everything cold for hours if the power is shut down and no one opens the door. Before we installed the inverter, we were able to drive for hours to a campground before we plugged in and the fridge did just fine. The only other circuits would be the TV, Sat receiver and a few other entertainment items. But I would also like to be able to choose other circuits on an as needed basis as long as the inverter will handle the load. Chuck
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #22

I should add that the inverter will be used very infrequently. We don't boondock that often and when we do, the genset is usually running. But there are times when we don't want the genset running and making noise and times when we don't want to disturb neighbors. Or for long drives when we want just the fridge to stay on. That's when the inverter would be used. Chuck
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Let’s keep this thread civil. Do not make it personal.

Steve as Site Staff

Tags
manual, switch, transfer switch