Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Awning Treatment with 303 Fabric Guard

After reading about the various ways to retreat my awning on my 2006 Allegro Bay I decided to use 303 Fabric Guard. It is highly recommended and the videos I watched showed good results.

I am expecting good results but don't know yet because it is still drying and I'm not quite finished.

The only problem that I had was that I ran out of 303 with about a 2'x18' strip left to do. I ordered a 32 oz bottle which should have covered 150 to 200 sqft according to the instructions. My awning is 144 sqft so I thought I would have more than enough. I was careful to put it on by the crosshatch method recommended.

I have ordered another 32 oz bottle since it is only $4 more than the 16 oz bottle on Amazon.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone planning to use this product. Order more than more than enough.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

Thanks for the lead!!
Question: Was there a need to treat your awning, i.e. dripping through? My originals are still fine, so that is why I ask.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There were several places where the water would drip through and when it got wet it took a long time to dry. The water should run off without soaking in.

I didn't mention that before applying I cleaned it with a Woolite solution. I did not use the 303 cleaner.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #4

Awning treatment

FYI,Not an expert. Our awning is a 1990 Carefree of Colorado. We wash it with a good cleaner and let it dry. Then we applied Son of a Gun to both sides with a sponge mop dedicated for this purpose. Kind of like wax on a floor. You only have to recoat every two years. Spots of dirt or bugs easily clean off with a damp rag or a broom. Our fabric is vinyl.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

My awning has double-woven linen fabric. It needs nothing!
Shade Pro.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #6

I posted in the file section Cleaning and care of Subrella that has some tips on using 303 fabric guard ehich is very different from 303 Aerospace Protectant.
303 FG works best when applied in light coats in full sun on a HOT day. Also helps to set the 303 in the sun for a bit vs pulling out of basFG ement storage. It almost drysas you spray it on don't soak the fabric.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I posted in the file section Cleaning and care of Subrella that has some tips on using 303 fabric guard ehich is very different from 303 Aerospace Protectant.
303 FG works best when applied in light coats in full sun on a HOT day. Also helps to set the 303 in the sun for a bit vs pulling out of basFG ement storage. It almost drysas you spray it on don't soak the fabric.
I did apply in full sun at about 82 degrees. Seemed plenty hot to me. That was why I was somewhat frustrated that I didn't have enough to finish.

Drying time listed was 6 to 9 hours. It looked dry after about an hour or less. Can't wait to get it finished. I should have enough left over to treat my two slide out covers.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just as a follow up with the 303 Fabric Guard... My second 32 oz bottle came in on Wednesday and I finished the last 2 feet of my awning. I have plenty of the 303 left to treat my two slide-out toppers.

It started raining on and off about 3 pm today (Thursday) and is now a steady rain. I went out and stood under the awning with no drips.

Works well but it did take quite a bit more product for me and I was putting it on by the prescribed method of spraying in a cross-hatch pattern and not soaking the fabric.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Curious as what fabric are you spraying with 303, I always had the vinyl on my TT but the MH has custom acrylic from Carefree of Colorado. Is this something I should apply to this fabric as well?
BayouBoy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know what kind of fabric it is. It looks like a sunbrella type of fabric.

My MH was 11 years old when it started dripping from underneath when it was raining.

You should check with Carefree and see what they recommend.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

My buddy in Quartzsite had a new Shade Pro awning installed by one of their people. He called their office and asked about treatment and was told only 303 Fabric product was acceptable on their products. YMMV.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #12

You need to be careful /specific when referring to 303 as they make different products for different purposes.

303 Aerospace Protectant is meant for UV prptection on rubber vinyl plastics but will actually reduce water repellancy if sprayed on acrulic fabrics.
This is the one that is recpmmended for Diamond Shield used pn many MH front ends. Ive used this on rubber roofs and it helps reduce dirt buildup and white streaks on the MH

303 Fabric Guard is a water repelant trestment and the one recommended by Sunbrella which is a woven acrylic used on some of the more expensive awnings. This pne will remove plasticizers if sprayed on vinyl.

So which one to use will depend on your awning material.

Search for cleaning and care of sunbrella for specific application tips...or pm me and happy to send a file
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning