Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Back home, but no 110 in trailer

My wife and I just got home from meeting the family in Lake Chelan for the week. All A-OK with our Arctic Fox 22H, as it has been for the last four years. Backed into the driveway, unhooked and started normal debriefing. When I plugged into shore power nothing happened. All battery items are still working--under 12v I'll assume--but no microwave or AC. I checked our 30amp connection in the garage and it shows power on the far end of the cable as well. But even cleaning connections and reseting main breaker (and ON/OFF switch in front compartment) there is seemingly no power for 110 in the rig. Power converter? Do they just go out flat? It was a little bumpy on a 30 mile stretch of road. Any coincidence?

I'm not too electrical savvy and don't really know the proper questions to ask. Is the power converter behind the panel with the fuses or elsewhere? Any spare thoughts will be appreciated. My nearest Fox dealer is 35 miles away in Kennewick and I've never dealt with them. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

The power converter takes 120 volts in and produces 12 volts out. That power charges your battery and runs your 12 volt items.

It is connected to the 120 volt system, just like any other 120 volt item, so it is not your problem.

I'm guessing you don't have an inverter or generator.

If you have power at the trailer end of the cord, open up the trailer 30 amp receptacle and see if any wires are loose.

That wire is the only thing between the receptacle and the 30 amp breaker on the inside panel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Twinboat, would that connection be behind the fuse panel or is there a separate box? I know the AC and microwave are 120v. Do they not go through the power converter? If so, is that why you suspect what you do?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the power cable has connector at RV end, ensure it is fully and properly connected.

Are GFCI's tripped?

With a meter, check for 120 vac coming into the breaker box, if there follow it through the breaker box to each circuit breaker, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

No the AC does not go thru the power converter.

I'm saying , if there is a receptcal on the side of your trailer, that you plug the shore cord into, there could be a bad connection right behind it.

From that connection, the wire runs to the 30 amp breaker in the panel. Follow the power circuit.

The power converter is a part of the panel but it does not carry 120 volt power thru it.

Follow up on the others suggestions but I don't see a roof top AC on a GFCI.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

Thanks, fellows. I appreciate any suggestions.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds like you have a tester, even a basic 110/120 tester may help you track down the issue. Since your receptacle is hot; check the end of your power cord with it plugged in, check the end the plugs into trailer, with power cord plugged in, check the trailer side of the connection, check powere in and powere out at each device, junction or connection along the incoming path. May be easier to go to your 110 panel fist to see if, power coming in and power going out. If your panel is hot both ways, then problem will be after the panel, likely a fuse or an inline breaker somewhere in the line after your panel. If no power at panel, then there is a problem before the panel. Easiest way I've found to isolate or locate an issue. You stated you cleaned the connections, were they charred at all? If they were it could just be your power cord. I recently replaced a power cord that didn't look bad until I cut and removed the plastic casing on the end and found it melted completely, would have never known it otherwise.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

When we bought the trailer we were paying cash and found what we wanted except for a factory generator. Our dealer removed it and reduced the price accordingly. However, there is still a transfer switch under the rearmost seat in the dinette. A locknut had backed off and a wire came out.

I was told to check that when I called the dealer (Thompson RV, Pendleton--thanks).

BOOM!
All good now. Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

Glad you're fixed up, and thanks for wrapping up your post ... so many forget.