RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Bad Batteries or bad converter???

At campground for 2 days. On shore power, 30A, with house batteries on line. All good for 36 hours until I left 4 ceiling and one 3 bulb bathroom fixture on, all 12v, for and hour or so before I noticed that the lights were going dim. Checked the battery meter and it read 8.5 volts. I thought that these lights should be powered through the converter and that the batteries would be bypassed except to charge. Am I wrong??? Maybe the 12v lights, etc., are always powered through the batteries and the converter tops off the batteries as they drain?

Tdye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome to the best RV forum around. There will be plenty of suggestions shortly.

If you don't have a voltmeter, your really need one. They are dirt cheap and you can learn how to use them watching you tube.

Yes the converter should be charging your batteries. First, check the post you are plugged into. The breaker could have popped. If you have anything like an air conditioner running, then you can disregard that.

Check your circuit breaker panel. Cycle the breakers off and then on. Sometimes they will be tripped and not look like it.

If you can either post your model and year or add it to your signature it will help.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2 .

Sorry you're here with problems .

Yes the converter/charger should be keeping up with all the 12 volt draws while you're on shore power . You have to find the C/C and check to see if it has fuses or a circuit breaker on the unit. Also check the 110 volt power panel; the C/C should be on a dedicated breaker, my C/C tripped the breaker several times before it died.
Because the battery power is so low your fridge could be in trouble too , it requires 12volts for the control panel even though you're on shore power.

EDIT: I see YC1 types faster than I do, every one types faster than I do.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
First it is a converter that charges the batteries, an inverter makes 120 from 12 volt. Check at the converter/inverter or converter which ever you have that it is turned on. Some have also a switch in the RV that you turn on and off the inverter as needed. Also check battery terminals for connection, but if the converter is on you should see good 12 v lot with or without battery.

LEN
Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The converter is a battery charger. Check battery voltage without converter operating - then check battery voltage with it operating. Should see about a volt higher with the converter operating. If no change, check the 120vac input to the converter - ensure circuit breaker, etc are ok. Then check 12vdc output at the converter. If no output likely bad converter. Be sure and check for circuit breakers and fuses on the converter itself.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdye2 View Post
At campground for 2 days. On shore power, 30A, with house batteries on line. All good for 36 hours until I left 4 ceiling and one 3 bulb bathroom fixture on, all 12v, for and hour or so before I noticed that the lights were going dim. Checked the battery meter and it read 8.5 volts. I thought that these lights should be powered through the converter and that the batteries would be bypassed except to charge. Am I wrong??? Maybe the 12v lights, etc., are always powered through the batteries and the converter tops off the batteries as they drain?
Welcome to the forum. A lot of people get this problem so that is just normal problems for RV's.

Just happened to me on my May-June trip. Came in and lights were dim. My converter quit after all these years. Mine was an Intell-Power. As a temp measure I kept my batteries charged with a high amp battery charger until I found a replacement converter in Oklahoma. Took about an hour for these old bones to replace it.

Took a long time for my Specific Gravity in the cells to come up to normal after the repair.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

First let me thank you all for your kind responses.😃 Last, let me apologize for being so dumb!!!😞 Got my stool, tools, lights, and courage up for the diagnosis of the converter. 😠Opened the hatch, cleared all the stuff out of the way and found it unplugged.😭 All I can say is "DUH" and "THANK Y'ALL"
Tdye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
First let me thank you all for your kind responses.�� Last, let me apologize for being so dumb!!!�� Got my stool, tools, lights, and courage up for the diagnosis of the converter. ��Opened the hatch, cleared all the stuff out of the way and found it unplugged.�� All I can say is "DUH" and "THANK Y'ALL"
Don't worry about it. We all make mistakes. I've made some pretty big ones! This probably won't be your last mistake. Glad you found the problem.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
First let me thank you all for your kind responses.😃 Last, let me apologize for being so dumb!!!😞 Got my stool, tools, lights, and courage up for the diagnosis of the converter. 😠Opened the hatch, cleared all the stuff out of the way and found it unplugged.😭 All I can say is "DUH" and "THANK Y'ALL"

Glad it worked out for you.

I had very same thing on a previous coach. The 120vac input plug to the inverter had come loose. I could tell it was not the first time by the old and no longer holding black tape that was used by someone previously to try to keep it from unplugging. I plugged it back in along with putting a couple tie wraps on it - better fixed.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, converter