Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Barker 42 gallon unit - too big?

I will be spending quite a bit of time at a CG with water and electric only, so am going to get a blue boy. Looking at the Barker 42 gallon. Will be towing it across the CG to dump station with toad. Plan to carry it strapped to the RV ladder. Having not used a blue boy before have no experiences.

Any reason to not go with the largest, the 42 gallon? Other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The hard part about using a tote that big (over 350 lbs. full) is rolling it (more like dragging it) from the rear of the RV through the sand/dirt to the toad. Can you pull that much weight?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
The hard part about using a tote that big (over 350 lbs. full) is rolling it (more like dragging it) from the rear of the RV through the sand/dirt to the toad. Can you pull that much weight?
Thanks, I had thought about this. If I cannot get the Jeep/toad to the tote and I cannot pull it by hand i can readily strap it out to where it can be towed. Or, if that cannot be done on occasion for some reason, just not fill to capacity.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am sure you can get the tote to the dump with the jeep.. I would suggest that you invest in a portable macerator such as the Flo-Jet I use and a 50 foot 3/4" BLACK rubber hose (There is a reason you want it black, if you can't figure it out.. Well. (Black hose-Black Water).

Then if you can hook tote to jeep, Fill remotely (Sutting off pump and closing a quarter turn valve IN THAT ORDER at the end of the hose.

Or if you have 36 gallon tanks like I do you can dump tank and flush with fresh water.

Black hose, Black water
Gray hose, You guessed Gray water, Right
White hose, Potable water
Green hose, Wash and Rinse water (When giving the RV a bath)
Clear hose: Rinse water (Black tank flush)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You shouldn't have any problems towing it with the jeep. The handle has a nice large loop you can just drop over a trailer ball. Another thought is to put larger wheels on it as the small plastic wheels are not very quiet or sturdy in my opinion. A number of people have installed larger pneumatic tires and said that it made a lot of difference. I also read that Barker has or was going to put out a kit with the larger wheels. Don't know if that's true or not but I have sent an inquiry to find out. In case Barker doesn't make a kit the procedure is not difficult and can easily be researched by a search on the internet. The parts are easily available and simple to assemble. The only reason I haven't done it is that I no longer have a TT and now only stay in full service locations.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Your in a MH, why not just drive it to the dump station. It takes so little to prep our MH to go a short distance that a Blue Boy would be twice the effort and mess. If you back flush you black tank your going to be taking several trips with the tote tank plus flushing the tote at the dump site.
Just my opinion but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work and trouble for a MH.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

A tote is a useful tool, and a DIY upgrade is to get a longer axle (3/4 inch if I remember right) to accommodate inflatable tires, they make the trip to the dump vastly easier IMHO.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have owned the 42 gallon BB for 8 or so years. After using it a few times I quickly made some changes to make using the BB easier.

First, I bought a level gauge or commonly called Tank Bobber to see when to stop filling the BB. I found out the hard way that once the BB is completely full and the hose is still full, now what are you going to do?

Amazon.com: Barker Manufacturing Company 26835 Tote-Along Bobber Gauge Full Tank Indicator: Automotive

Second, because there is no vent to allow the air to escape due to the Tank Bobber doing its job, I installed one of my own design. See photos.

Third, I removed the skinny rear wheels and installed large run-flat wheels. I haven't figured out what to do about the front wheels but they are not as important as the rear ones.

I hook up the handle to my trailer hitch on my car or my brother's lawn tractor and tow it close to the location for dumping.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	56374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	56375  

Name:	IMG_0964.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	56376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	56377  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Your in a MH, why not just drive it to the dump station. It takes so little to prep our MH to go a short distance that a Blue Boy would be twice the effort and mess. If you back flush you black tank your going to be taking several trips with the tote tank plus flushing the tote at the dump site.
Just my opinion but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work and trouble for a MH.
I find teardown and setup to be more work and hassle. In addition to the usual stiff I have several computer equipment for my work and ham radio hobby stuff to stow, even if temp low speed travel.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am sure you can get the tote to the dump with the jeep.. I would suggest that you invest in a portable macerator such as the Flo-Jet I use and a 50 foot 3/4" BLACK rubber hose (There is a reason you want it black, if you can't figure it out.. Well. (Black hose-Black Water).

Then if you can hook tote to jeep, Fill remotely (Sutting off pump and closing a quarter turn valve IN THAT ORDER at the end of the hose.

Or if you have 36 gallon tanks like I do you can dump tank and flush with fresh water.

Black hose, Black water
Gray hose, You guessed Gray water, Right
White hose, Potable water
Green hose, Wash and Rinse water (When giving the RV a bath)
Clear hose: Rinse water (Black tank flush)
Yes, I have been looking at a macerator setup. Would provide as you comment, plus allow me to fill the tote if mounted on a cargo rack at the back of the jeep for when longer distance / road travel is needed to the dump location when boon docking. This will likely be 'phase 2'.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have owned the 42 gallon BB for 8 or so years. After using it a few times I quickly made some changes to make using the BB easier.

First, I bought a level gauge or commonly called Tank Bobber to see when to stop filling the BB. I found out the hard way that once the BB is completely full and the hose is still full, now what are you going to do?

Amazon.com: Barker Manufacturing Company 26835 Tote-Along Bobber Gauge Full Tank Indicator: Automotive

Second, because there is no vent to allow the air to escape due to the Tank Bobber doing its job, I installed one of my own design. See photos.

Third, I removed the skinny rear wheels and installed large run-flat wheels. I haven't figured out what to do about the front wheels but they are not as important as the rear ones.

I hook up the handle to my trailer hitch on my car or my brother's lawn tractor and tow it close to the location for dumping.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
great suggestions all, thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent comments and suggestions all! Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I got an answer back from Barker. The larger wheel kit is $50 plus shipping. As I recall the front wheel clearance is taken care of by the kit.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Arrived today via Amazon. Includes the upgrades wheels/tires. Appears well made unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	56602   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 - Copy.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	56603  

Name:	photo 3 - Copy.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	56604