Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

Basement Air

i have 2001 winnebago journey with basement air. air works great on low fan speed when put on high fan speed comes on fine when gets to room temp compressors turn off but the fan still blows cant get it to cut off unless i pull the fuse any suggestions
dogsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Does the thermostat have an "Auto" setting?
The fan high/low can be used with the AC off to circulate air, or high or low can be left on - compressor should cycle on and off but the fans should still run. I'm talking about typical AC', and a rig that is 17 years old may be entirely different.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

i guess i should of said it different it is on auto setting on low works as should just when u put it on high auto fan still runs
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, can't help. Someone should be along with info.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Your symptoms sound similar to some we had.
There is info somewhere on IRV2 to upgrade and repair the components in the unit with photos for download.
When our basement air started acting up, I started changing start and run cavities. Then I looked at additional repairs and by the time I added up parts to include a new control board, high side compressor, etc and labor, cost difference to replace with a new unit was minimal. I went with a new unit. After 15 plus years, I think an appliance such as an ac has more than served its life span. Just my opinion.
Good Luck with it either way..
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #6

well i think it might be something easier to repair than replace it works great on low auto air works good on high auto air except the fan on inside coach continues to run so im think something minor its been like that for about a year just was wanting to fix it in case low air quits ! was just looking for suggestions thanks though
Old 04-07-2018, 01:09 AM   #7

Duner is the guy that did the overhaul procedure complete with sources for parts and detailed pictography. I used it to fix mine. Your problem sounds like a thermostat. His tutorial will fix everything underneath. Overhaul for mine was about 100$. Replaced blower cage with a better more efficient one and replaced loud noisy bearings. His stuff is in this website in the archives
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #8

This was on my previous bus, 2004 Itasca Meridian
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is the Duner web site. It not only has A/C maintenance info but many other very descriptive manitenance issues for a MH. VERY GOOD INFO.

https://sites.google.com/site/billmarie2008/

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
May Duner rest in peace.

Quite the man.

Wonderful write-up on basement AC.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsgone View Post
well i think it might be something easier to repair than replace it works great on low auto air works good on high auto air except the fan on inside coach continues to run so im think something minor its been like that for about a year just was wanting to fix it in case low air quits ! was just looking for suggestions thanks though
I have basement air too. I don't think its something that needs to be overhauled.
If anything its your thermostat and on that site is info on converting a thermostat to work but I believe the ones we have are available too.

There is some testing you can to on the thermostat with a meter to see if its still sending the signal to run the fan when it shouldn't. Thermostats are pretty simple. Our heat pump thermostat went bonkers in our house. Why it would short cycle at 69* and run fine at 70* is beyond me, but it was the thermostat. Everyone else said it was the heat pump itself.

Just give it a KISS (keep it simple stupid) and check the thermostat with a meter.

I love the basement air. Its so quiet. Everyone ends up in our rig in the summer cause they aren't talking over the roof air. I have vowed to work out having some sort of basement air if it means strapping a Mitsubishi unit to the backside. lol
Old 04-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #12

yes im going to check thermastat im thinking that might be it and they still do sell the exact one i have hopefully thats the problem thanks for all help i will read more
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I have basement air too. I don't think its something that needs to be overhauled.
If anything its your thermostat and on that site is info on converting a thermostat to work but I believe the ones we have are available too.

There is some testing you can to on the thermostat with a meter to see if its still sending the signal to run the fan when it shouldn't. Thermostats are pretty simple. Our heat pump thermostat went bonkers in our house. Why it would short cycle at 69* and run fine at 70* is beyond me, but it was the thermostat. Everyone else said it was the heat pump itself.

Just give it a KISS (keep it simple stupid) and check the thermostat with a meter.

I love the basement air. Its so quiet. Everyone ends up in our rig in the summer cause they aren't talking over the roof air. I have vowed to work out having some sort of basement air if it means strapping a Mitsubishi unit to the backside. lol
You have basement air. I'm curious and I'm a "greenhorn" in learning mode. I have looked in my manual and I can only find information on 1 of my wall thermostats which is the one I use for AC/Furnace/Heat Pump etc.
I am trying to figure out if the other wall thermostat is to warm the basement since duh I found out my hot water bypass is down there as well as other pipes.
ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	20181123_110959.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	226943Click image for larger version

Name:	20181123_110951.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	226944
Old 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtUSNow View Post
Your symptoms sound similar to some we had.
There is info somewhere on IRV2 to upgrade and repair the components in the unit with photos for download.
When our basement air started acting up, I started changing start and run cavities. Then I looked at additional repairs and by the time I added up parts to include a new control board, high side compressor, etc and labor, cost difference to replace with a new unit was minimal. I went with a new unit. After 15 plus years, I think an appliance such as an ac has more than served its life span. Just my opinion.
Good Luck with it either way..
The OP's problem may be much simpler (I'm thinking thermostat) but I have a suspect compressor #2 in my 2002 Suncruiser and my thinking is along the same lines as your's. I've read several postings of people spending $800 or more without solving their problem. The $2,100 or so for a replacement A/C makes more sense and swapping them out is a DIY job if you're somewhat handy and physically capable.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air