Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #1

Basement Air Conditioner

Please share with me whether there are any advantages or disadvantages to a basement air conditioner? I assume that one immediate disadvantage is that it probably takes up one basement storage compartment. We are contemplating purchasing our first motor home, and one that we may be interested in has a basement A/C. All the other units that we have looked at have roof A/Cs. Why are basement A/Cs so much in the minority?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Basement air was mostly only offered on Winnebagos. It is a residential unit, much quieter than roof air and airflow is mostly unnoticed. Currently Coleman has discontinued the basement air units and Winnebago now only offers roof air units.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Basement air

We have basement air in our 2008 Tour. We bought new in 08 and haven't had any problems at all. I've kept it clean and changed the filters often and that's all. It's very quiet compared to some coaches we've been in that had roof air running. We seldom use it for heat, the gas furnace works better for us.
I understand that Coleman has discontinued supplying this unit but it is serviceable by HVAC techs though the access is near impossible without removing the unit from the compartment. If you search this site you can find a lot of info on this unit, some good, some bad.

This is just my 2 cents.
Mike and Mo
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We love our basement air. The previous posts have stated the advantages, I have one disadvantage, if you loose one compressor the unit is down and out. Two roof top units have the advantage of still having one operating unit. I didn't see this mentioned , no water dripping off the roof when the A/C is operating. (Some newer units have specific drains for roof units)

We use the heat pump quite often in cooler temperaturers, however we seldon are in temperaturers lower than 40 degrees.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

My 2000 winne 37g has basement air. I dont know if roof units give you the option of electric heat or not, but mine can supply cold air or heat. Saves on running the propane furnace if you are at a campground and electricity is included. x2 on the quiet. Mine is at the back and you cant hear it sitting in the living area. It is a bit louder in the bedroom, but not bad. You do lose one storage compartment.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
The biggest selling point for me was a lower roofline which allowed me to get the MH through the 12 foot high door opening in my storage building, no TV sat dish on the rig.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also have the basement air unit in our 2005 Itasca Horizon 40ft MH. we love it, we have had no problems in cooling our coach. We also use the heat pump (Heating) part of the unit, it works real good, only issue I have is it blows out cold air to start up, DH never minds. If outside temp gets below 36-38 degrees it automatically changes over to the propane heater. I do change the heater filters every 3-4 months as recommended & blow off the outside fins of the unit with a blower occasionally.