Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
ALL air concitioner systems can have problems. especially if not properly cleaned and in some cases lubricated.

But think about this. Hot air rises
So the air at the CEILING is the hottest in the RV.. Thats where you want your chiller. The furnace goes in the basement.
The unit is in the basement and ducted up to vents in the ceiling. So the cool air is blowing down. Of course when using it as a heat pump you're blowing hot air down. Sounds pretty much like roof mounted A/C doesn't it? My home furnace and central A/C is in the basement. Whether heating or cooling it blows through floor vents. With combination A/C, heat pumps one is always going to be a compromise. Given that, with enough air circulation it doesn't matter all that much. Our vents are in the ceiling but when using the unit as a heat pump it does a good job of warming the coach. These units do have blowers. We're not relying on the cold air to fall and the heat to rise all by itself. These units also have a house type furnace filter and return air is at floor level. So whether heating or cooling the unit is pulling air from the ceiling area to the floor.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
ALL air concitioner systems can have problems. especially if not properly cleaned and in some cases lubricated.

But think about this. Hot air rises
So the air at the CEILING is the hottest in the RV.. Thats where you want your chiller. The furnace goes in the basement.
Think about this,, my home has one set of registers in the ceiling that blow both hot and cold air. Some homes have registers in the floor that blow both hot and cold. There may be a slight loss of efficiency in one mode or another, otherwise these systems work just fine.

That portion of the equation isn't anything to worry about. It's the dependability, the ease of service, and cost to repair that needs to be thought about.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #17

The basement unit in my Horizon is going on 16 years old, it has always worked well. Last summer I decided to pull it out of its cradle to do some general cleaning and maintenance. While I had it out I called a local HVAC service tech come by and give it the once over. When finished he said it was an impressive, clever design and very robust. Before I put it back in the cradle I lined the inside of the unit with sound deadening material, which really cut down on the noise in the bedroom. While in Tucson last year the AC kept us very comfortable with 90-100 degree outside temps. Last night it got down to 37 degrees and the heat pumps were still providing ample heat. The basement units are IMO a good solid system, but like anything mechanical they may need service from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C1E754A-2DE1-45EB-8CAE-C2573C629D28.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	189542   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9DB3BAB-C698-4DD7-B829-F4073B214954.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	189543  

JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #18

Hi Jamin, does that unit just pull straight out as it looks like in the picture? I think mine (2002 Winnebago journey ) is the same. I thought it dropped out the bottom.
Thx Gary
819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #19

Before I did anything I marked with a sharpe the outline of the cradle on the bottom of the AC unit, this helped to get it back in the same position. Once you have disconnected the supply duct from the unit, lower the front of the cradle using the bolts at the front corners until the top is clear. I layed on the ground under the unit and pushed up and toward the opening, it’s not very heavy and it moves pretty easy, also make sure the electrical doesn’t snag. When it was out of the opening a few inches it’s easy to “walk out” the rest of the way from in front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E0E7EB60-DBB7-4325-BE1D-7AE98AC41642.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	190173  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Personal preference...
Sis and them have a Winny with the basement air and love it...
the one issue they had they called a HOUSE AC guy, not an rv AC guy,
and he was able to help since it's basically a residential unit...
I think this is a key point. Most RV service facilities don't know much about how to fix a basement air. Roof air units are often not fixed if any issue with the sealed systems portion, just replaced.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 AM   #21

For my 2 cents worth, we camped next to a Motor Home with a basement unit about a year ago and it was pretty noisy for us! Their unit must have been in the side facing us. It was summer and I do not specifically remember it blowing hot air on us. I guess that would depend on which way the wind blows. May have just been that particular unit but given the choice, I’d probably avoid camping next to one.
pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpaul View Post
For my 2 cents worth, we camped next to a Motor Home with a basement unit about a year ago and it was pretty noisy for us!...
I don't think that's typical of these units. Ours is on the curb side, rear compartment. Sitting outside with unit running it's not really noticeable. If fact some roof top units around us are louder.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #23

Have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. Has the basement air that works perfectly. I keep the filters changed and find noise levels are less on the inside than the roof units on our previous coach. Love how quiet it is in the lounge while watching tv. One reason I bought this coach was because it had residential heat and air.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #24

so much dislike for basement unit's but I keep seeing mini splits being installed into campers, and bus conversions. IMHO less holes in the roof the better.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #25

My wife and I are so happy with the basement air. Its really so much quieter than the roof air we had before.

Tags
air, roof