Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Basic refrigerator cooling solution

Here is an important message to anyone that may be having trouble with their refrigerator.
These refrigerators ''work'' by heating a substance very hot and then thru the process of heated vapors rise, they circulate thru the piping system in the back of the refrigerator and cool back into a liquid and then the liquid is re heated by a heat source until it becomes a gas and the process is repeated.

This is an over simplified description of how your refrigerator works in your motor home if you have the standard unit that is gas fired and or electric fired. There is much more to the final operation of your unit but I will not go into that at this time.

Here are a few things you should check if your refrigerator is not working at all or not cooling properly in one or both portions of the refrigerator.

One. If the unit is not cooling at all you must satisfy three things for the basic unit to work.
A. the unit must be level. The reason for this is to facilitate the circulation of the cooling liquid in the coil. THERE IS NO PUMP FOR MOVING THIS LIQUID. It moves by gravity.
B. you must have a ''HEAT SOURCE'' to heat the liquid. This can be electric or gas to heat the liquid to the proper temp for the cycle to work.
  1. You must have a ''demand'' for cooling so the operation will function.

The most inportant of these functions are the unit being level and you must have a proper heat source. If you talk to a tech. They will tell you to ''USE THE ELECTRIC HEATERS'' as the heat source because the gas can be deceptive and not put out the proper heat for the refrigerator to function properly. The tech will tell you to ''WIRE DIRECT THE ELECTRIC HEATERS'' as this will by pass any and all temp controls and demand switches. This will simply directly heat the liquid and the refrigerator should cool if your coil unit is not stopped up or leaking.

This is what I did with mine after I thought the coil had gone bad. I wired it ''DIRECT'' and let the unit set for 24 hours and checked on the cooling. THE UNIT DID NOT COOL …
I ordered a new coil unit to go into the back of my Dometic for a total cost of 1100.oo dollars. It was shipped in to me and I put it into the back of my refrigerator, hooked up everything, re installed the refrigerator, put it on AC electric as instructed. NOTHING HAPPENED. In frustration I was told to ''WIRE DIRECTLY TO THE AC HEATERS'' and try that …... In 24 hours the freezer compartment was down to 30 degrees and the crisper was on about 55. needless to say I was frustrated. In description I checked the voltage going to the electric heaters and there was 120 volts to both heaters. I finally decided that the ''HEATERS'' may not be working and sure enough. ONE OF THE HEATERS WAS JUST WARM FROM THE AMBIENT HEAT OF THE OTHER HEATER. I believe I have found the problem. It seems that one of my electric heaters has stopped working and I was only getting ''heat'' from one heater. My unit requires two heaters.

I have ordered two brand new electric heaters to see if that will resolve my problem.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT........ I wonder if my old unit was ok all the time and my original problem was that one of the electric heaters was not working and my unit was not cooling.

In closing....... If you are having problems with cooling in your unit and you are told to check it on AC, for goodness sake check the electric heaters first to see if they are both working properly.
I will let you know the outcome when I get the refrigerator working properly...

God bless our vets …........

ps. If you will P.M. me i will be glad to give you my phone number and help you with any problem on your unit. The standard fee is ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me ..
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
cooling, refrigerator