Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

Batter/Electrical issues

Folks,

We have a 17 ft. Kodiak Hybrid TT. My battery source is two... 6volt Trojan T-125s wired to make a 12 volt package, or a new, single 12 volt Interstate backup battery. So any ideas as to what could cause them to suddenly completely drain? This has happened only twice. Both times after having the TT at the same dealer for unrelated maintenance In each instance the batteries were fully charged prior, the TT was hooked up to our 2012 Grand Cherokee and the trailer was with the dealer for only about 1 hour. In each instance I also left the trailer plugged into the Jeep during the maintenance and for an hour or so after arriving home. I was not present during the time that the dealer worked on the TT. The drive to and from the dealer took about 2 hours during which the TT was plugged into the Jeep.

The first time that this happened the Trojans were installed and fully charged. Having just come back from a 5,000 mile 16 day camping trip this time.... the Trojans were being recharged and the 12 volt Interstate battery was installed. I have never had an issue with either of these batteries discharging during the past 18 months. We have towed 15,000 miles and camped for 8 weeks, off the grid and a couple of times with electric in campgrounds, during that period without problems.

I don't want to suggest some sort of sabotage but it makes one wonder. I live in a rural area and the dealer is a modest shop about 40 miles away near a small rural town.

Back in 1985 we bought a new Lincoln. After the warrenty was up I had it maintained by the local Ford dealer. Every time after it was in their shop a new unrelated problem would soon develop. This happened 7 or 8 times. My wife finally convince me that the shop was conducting sabatage. I switched to a different auto shop....drove the car another 100,000 miles with zero maintenance issues beyond...tires, shocks, normal wear items. I now maintain the car as a historical vehicle with 257,000 trouble free miles on the odometer. Makes one wonder.

Any thoughts as to possible technical issues with our camper? Each time I rechared the batteries after finding them drained and had normal performance thereafter.

bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

Could the batteries have been switched, old ones put in place of your good ones ???Can you tell if they are the same ones ???
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
The only way to be sure about the batteries is to test each one with a multi-meter to be sure that they still function properly. Just to be clear, though, did you wire in a brand new battery into a circuit that had two older batteries and then the problem started?

- Randy
Old 06-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

No,

The batteries were not switched. They were fully charged and functioning normally before going to the shop.. I use a multi-meter and a hydrometer to check the batteries condition. A new one was not linked with old ones.

After the first event I recharged the 1 year old Trojan batteries and went on a 5,000 mile 16 day camping trip. Everything worked fine. Never had an issue with the new "backup" Interstate battery either.

The only common thread is having had a short maintenance visit to the same shop. It could be some kind of quirk and pure coincidence. But everything worked fine after recharging the batteries.

Gremlins!?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
It may have been something they were doing there - running equipment off your battery bank or something (why they would do this I have no idea, but it would explain the sudden drain). Very odd. Glad to hear that you know how to (and regularly do) properly check your batteries

- Randy
Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you have confirmed that the TV is still charging the batteries and a hydrometer test indicates they are still fine. Also the converter/charger is working properly.

It takes one hellava load to drain 2 T105s in a few hours. It seems inconceivable a dealer could do any work that would cause this. I would have to confront them to find out what they had done to cause this. If they act stupid, it would never go back to them.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a nice big fat inverter? They can drain a battery fast and easy. Had that happen to me once. Went into shop had work done. Picked up unit 2 days later and batteries were dead. Shop people (no one knows who) had turned on the inverter. I ALWAYS leave it OFF! Frequently check to make sure it is off. Have never used it and don't want to. Got a nice generator.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

I THINK THAT STEVE....IN THE 'BOONDOCKING' THREAD MAY HAVE CRACKED THE CASE.

This is how it "could have happened." on purpose or otherwise.

Quote: Steve.

"One thing to remember is to have your fridge on propane. Another tip is to shut your inverter off when you go to bed. These things use power even if no 110V items are turned on. If your fridge happens to be hooked up to your inverter, it will drain your battery bank within a couple of hours." Have a blast, Steve

THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLIED. I WILL REMOVE THE BATTERY BEFORE TAKING OUR TT BACK TO THIS REPAIR SHOP.

Bob
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #9

BeltoneMagoo...

...seems that you were on the right track also. Didn't know anything about inverters. Will try to turn mine off or pull the fuse.

Thanks,

bob
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
12V WIRING SYSTEM. ---Eliminate what you do not have.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote