Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Batteries?

Took delivery of a new, 2017, four battery coach. Sat plugged in for four days, solar panels sucking up the sun as well. Brought it home and left re-frig only on batteries. Came back 14 hours later, batteries shut off. Pulled tray out, found one battery with two exposed plates in their cells, all other batteries low on water. Could the two dead cells, 12 volt batteries, damage the remaining three. Also, being a 17 model no one knows how long it could have sat at the dealer in that condition. Thanks much.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

You need to check the solar and charger settings. If the volts are too high ( more then 13.6 on day 2 ) the batteries can overcharge, boil and eveperate the water.

I would attempt to get the dealer to install 4, GC2, 6 volt deep cycle batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need to check the solar and charger settings. If the volts are too high ( more then 13.6 on day 2 ) the batteries can overcharge, boil and eveperate the water.

I would attempt to get the dealer to install 4, GC2, 6 volt deep cycle batteries.

X2 Absolutely get them to replace those batteries and check operation on everything. Those wet cells need to be check minimum of once a month. 3-4 yrs life expectancy or maybe better if you take care of them.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would fuss at the dealer to replace the batteries. Especially if he's stupid enough to not top them up before delivery to hide their abuse and neglect.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

I bought my 2016 bounder in a similar fashion (not quite so bad). I filled the water, charged them up/drained them a couple of times and then did an equalize charge on them.

While not perfect, I get a couple hundred amp hours out of four of them now before they reach 50% SOC according to my batter monitor.. much better than before I did this maintenance.

If the dealer won't replace, maybe there is hope..

John
Old 11-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #6

Quote:

Folks, all thanks. Not being an electrical expert, how would going to 4 six volt batteries help? the batteries I have are Interstate dual deep cycle/starting batteries. Also, the plates in the two low cells appeared somewhat crusty, indicating to this novice, they had been that way a while.
P.S. I have only two solar panels, 160 watts each. Could they cook the batteries??
Old 11-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #7

You don't have to convert to 6 volt GC2 batteries but if you do, you will, in most cases, be getting a larger capacity and longer lasting battery bank.

Your present batteries may be about 90 AH. That, times 4, gives you 360 AH total capacity with 180 AH usable to 50% capacity. 50% capacity is typically use for long life.

Most GC2 batteries will give you a minimum of 205 AH. ( Many can go to 235 AH capacity ). You do need 2 to get to 12 volts but 4 will still give you 410 AH capacity with 205 AH usable.

Dual purpose batteries are OK at two jobs. The will offer the capacity listed, but only for about 500 deep cycles. They also don't tolerate discharges below 50% too often.

True deep cycle Golf Car batteries are designed to be run down deeply ( 50% of capacity ), and then recharged up to 1000 times. They can be discharged down to 20% capacity and still give you up to 500 cycles.

Because they are very popular in millions of golf cars, they are inexpensive. It's just more bang for the buck.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Twinboat is right on re advantages of GC battys.

For a great article comparing FLA battys see this post and the link included in it. Pics...data and a lot of experience and testing went into the article.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365954
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wet cells are your best bang for the buck. If they are easy to get to and maintain that's the way I would go.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #10

Folks, again, thanks for the advice and your time. Stopped by my repair center yesterday and was advised exposed plates in one battery could damage the other three. Also, I was told, I'd need eight 6 volt batteries.(?) They are taller and I simply don't have the room for them. In communication with the dealer 300 miles away. We'll see.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #11

Wow, sounds like dealer doesn't know much about 6 volt batteries. They are an inch or two taller though.

Get him to replace the 4, 12 volt and when they are shot, think about the conversion.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Wow, sounds like dealer doesn't know much about 6 volt batteries. They are an inch or two taller though.

Get him to replace the 4, 12 volt and when they are shot, think about the conversion.
Got on the internet and looked at 6 volt batteries. It appeared on the web page most are considerably taller than my existing 12 volts. Did find some you are referring to, maybe two inches taller, but they were $300 each!! How many six volts would I need to mimic four 12 volts? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Got on the internet and looked at 6 volt batteries. It appeared on the web page most are considerably taller than my existing 12 volts. Did find some you are referring to, maybe two inches taller, but they were $300 each!! How many six volts would I need to mimic four 12 volts? Thanks.
4, GC2, 6 volt batteries. Flooded batteries are about $100 a peice.

Google series / parallel 6 volt battery wiring.

Look in Sams club, Costco or Batteries +
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
You would need four and wire them as the image attached.

Tags
batteries