Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Battery

I have my MH plugged into my house all the time unless we go camping and plugged in to shore power. It's hard getting to my battery underneath the mh and hard to check water level, is there a better way to fill with water, and if I disconnect the terminals myself should I do anything like unplug the mh before taking battery out, or what is the procedure .
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
I have my MH plugged into my house all the time unless we go camping and plugged in to shore power. It's hard getting to my battery underneath the mh and hard to check water level, is there a better way to fill with water, and if I disconnect the terminals myself should I do anything like unplug the mh before taking battery out, or what is the procedure .

shut the converter off.
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There are filling devices which connect to the batteries and only require that you connect a hose to a distilled water bottle and it fills all cells at once. Not sure, but these are most often used for large rigs with multiple batteries and might not be cost effective if you only have a single house battery.

I would disconnect from shore power before disconnecting your battery cables. Turning off your converter probably does it too but I'd disconnect just to be on the safe side.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

You mean turn converter breaker off
Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Works like a charm...
Search - battery fill - Camping World
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #6

I purchased the quik fill on board watering system for a single battery, should I take my battery out first and b4 I do that should I shut power out as far as the power cord and breakers
Old 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
brian-nicola
Not so well for those of us with 12V batteries!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

Excuse me
Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First I will address the disconnect: I would mark all the POSITIVE wires with red.. (A small can (TESTOR's) of spray paint is good for this,, Optional is to mark the negetave wires black, DO NOT mark battery to battery jumpers. only the ones that run off into the RV.

Now: Is there a better way to fill them.. YES. Here is a link to the web page for ONE company that makes such a system.. There are others and you should be able to find at least one competing system at Camping World or a major RV or Marine store (or a golf car store)

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-watering/pro-fill
Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Excuse me

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:

Why not replace with a AGM type battery and cross one more thing off your "to do" list?
Never have to check water level in an AGM battery.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #12

How bout just disconnect the positive and negative
Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Why not replace with a AGM type battery and cross one more thing off your "to do" list?
Never have to check water level in an AGM battery.

I can think of several reasons for NOT doing that.. Mostly because I tried AGM's on a different system and found that they are not nearly as good as their supporters claim they are. They are, however, quite costly.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I can think of several reasons for NOT doing that.. Mostly because I tried AGM's on a different system and found that they are not nearly as good as their supporters claim they are. They are, however, quite costly.

You need to start with a quality brand i.e. "lifeline". NOT OPTIMA
and also ensure your charger has a setting for AGM
to get good results.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery