Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Battery Amps

My Generac 75D won't crank but just tries to like it is not getting enough amps. It has cranked and run fine in recent weeks. I do use the preheat switch before trying to start.

I believe the 4 6v house batteries are powering the gen starter. I also have 2 chassis batteries that I don't think are related to this issue. Although, I have tried the Boost switch when cranking but no change.

What is the best way to determine if there are enough amps getting to the gen? I have cleaned all the contact points that I can find including the battery terminals. I am getting 13.2v at the gen + stud bolt.

Is there a test I can do to determine if it is the battery bank or the gen itself? All house 12v items function properly and the wall control panel shows the batteries are fully charged.

I would prefer not to disassemble the battery bank and take each one some place to have it load tested if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you could start by disconnecting the 4 batteries and check voltages of each battery. If you determine a significant difference in each battery, then haul them out and have them load tested. You could also do a specific gravity test on each cell to determine if you have bad cells or batteries. The SG test doesn't require disconnecting the batteries. You could also disconnect generator and jump start it with a known good 12 v battery to see if it starts on that. If it doesn't, I'd then suspect the generator starter or start circuit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think you could start by disconnecting the 4 batteries and check voltages of each battery. If you determine a significant difference in each battery, then haul them out and have them load tested. You could also do a specific gravity test on each cell to determine if you have bad cells or batteries. The SG test doesn't require disconnecting the batteries. You could also disconnect generator and jump start it with a known good 12 v battery to see if it starts on that. If it doesn't, I'd then suspect the generator starter or start circuit.
THANKS. I will try one or more of these ideas.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
A easy way to check the cranking voltage at the genset is have someone try to start it
and you look at the voltage at the genset. should be above 11 volts while cranking.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #5

175 Amp fuse blows when starting.

My neighbours RV has a similar problem and they always come to me for repairs.
They have a Fleetwood on a Sprinter Chassis with an Onan Diesel Generator.
Unless the Chassis battery is right up to 100% or the engine is running the generator will blow the 175 Amp Buss Fuse.
All the connections have been cleaned.
Seems inconvenient to start the engine just to boost the battery so you can start the generator to charge the battery.
At 20 dollars a pop getting a little pricey as well.
I wonder if a heavier gauge cable should be run straight from the battery to generator rather than being switched by all the relays in the chassis electrical system.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would go right to the generator's ground on the chassis frame, the main problem with generator cranking.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To see if there are enough amps to the genny measure voltage AT the generator while cranking. If it does not change the problem is in the generator, If they drop to like 3 the problem may still be in the generator. But is more likely "Up-stream".
Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe clyon51 is on to something, If you have a poor ground between the generator and the frame (ultimately the batteries) you'll have starting issues. Check ground strap between generator and frame / battery. A quick test before unbolting and wire brushing everything would be to use a jumper cable between generator frame and negative battery or RV frame and try to start. If it turns over faster, you know the ground is the issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm still here

Haven't been able to try these tests yet due to several issues but will let you know what works.

John

Tags
battery