Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery connections for solar controller

Hello everyone. I have a 2014 Fleetwood Excursion with (4) 6v house batteries. 2 groups of 2 in series and the 2 groups running in parallel (picture attached).

It looks like they are pulling the load side (inverter, charger, etc.) from one of the series pairs. My question is, can I connect a solar charge controller to the other series pair or does it need to be on the same side as everything else?

I'm not sure why they picked the one series pair over the other but it looks the same as they are both connected in parallel. But then again, I'm not an electrician either.

So looking at the picture, the current load for all 4 batteries is coming off of batteries 3 & 4, positive of 3 and negative of 4. Can I connect the charger to the positive of 2 and the negative of 1 fo the same results?

Any insight/thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery connections.gif
Views:	116
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	93405  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I believe the best way to,wire the inverter is the positive on one end of the entire group and the negative on the opposite so the juice pulls thru all the batteries. I connect my solar the same way
Old 05-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Move the Neg lead from Battery 4 to battery 1. This balances the bank. Otherwise battery 4 and 3 are the shortest path and will do more of the work.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

The diagram has a few problems. The inverter and loads should be equally distributed through the battery bank. If you follow the current path, there are more wires and connections from the inverter to battery 1 and 2 than there are through 3 and 4. This is an unbalanced design. That means that battery 3 and 4 will do more work than 1 and 2. They will also receive higher current during charging.

You should balance the system. Connect the inverter and chassis negative to battery 1 negative terminal. Or instead you could move the positive back to battery 2 positive terminals. You should connect the PV sollar in the same manner, equal distribution.

You show a 300 amp fuse connected to unknown loads. You also show a branch from the fuse. This is dangerous. Every branch circuit (every wire that splits from another) must have its own circuit protection sized for the wire rating and load. A 300 amp fuse must be connected to a 3/0 cable (305 amps@75° C) or the wire may heat too much before the fuse blows damaging the wire insulation.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies and the great info!!

I attached an updated drawing to reflect what I believe you were recommending. Is this what you guys were talking about? I moved the neg connection to battery 1 and noted (what I think is) the unsafe connection BatteryPro mentioned. I'll be taking it back into the dealer for these mods as it's a new MH and shouldn't be wired the way it is now.

Also, I want to connect my solar charge controller to this battery bank. Can I just connect via battery 2 positive and battery 4 negative BEFORE I make the mods? This crosses the entire bank as you described; just want to make sure I understood correctly. Or should I be using the same pos and neg terminals as the inverter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery connections2.gif
Views:	90
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	93467  
Old 05-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How serious is it (batteries not balanced)?

And a follow up question, how bad is it that the negative and positive are pulled off the same side of the battery bank? I will be moving the negative over to the other side to "balance" the setup, but not immediately.

Is this something that damages the batteries over 5 years or 5 months? Just curious as to how serious it is.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Physically it would take a while to damage a battery.

Electrically you will notice the difference.

Swap it when you can, but if you cant just know you work 1 battery ~30% more then the other. So it will fail faster then drag down the other battery.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #8

Kurt,

The second diagram is correct. You can connect your PV solar in the same place or on battery 2 positive and battery 4 negative.

What is the wire size going to the other 300 amps fuse? The wire splitting off the left side of that fuse is an unproitected circuit.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

Wow what a good read
Thanks everyone
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Kurt,

The second diagram is correct. You can connect your PV solar in the same place or on battery 2 positive and battery 4 negative.

What is the wire size going to the other 300 amps fuse? The wire splitting off the left side of that fuse is an unprotected circuit.

Larry
Hi Larry. The unprotected cable that shoots off to an unknown connection looks to be 2/0. I tried tracing it again today but it disappears into the frame somewhere. I'm going to ask my dealer to put it on the other side of the AGM fuse so everything runs through the fuse. Sound like a good solution? Or should it have its own fuse?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
That lead may run to your generator
Old 05-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imurphy907 View Post
That lead may run to your generator
...or your alternator. If you disconnect the cable and isolate it, try to start the generator. If it won't crank, that's it. If the gen still starts, crank your main engine and see if the alternator is charging the house battery, if not then it is from the alternator.

If you move it to the fuse side, you may have a problem with the fuse blowing. That type fuse does not have any surge capability like a Class T fuse does.

Larry

Tags
solar, battery