Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery Control Center Problems

I have the following symptoms on my 2007 Fleetwood Excursion with an Intellitec 00-00886-100 BCC:

1. Main battery will not charge on shore power, aux battery will not charge while driving down the road
2. Checked the resettable circuit breakers - all were closed
3. Checked all fuses and found F26 a 3 amp fuse driving the Aux Start switch on the coach dash, was blown. replaced fuse
4. Pressed "isolator relay test button" on BCC board and can hear the battery issolator relay actuate
5. Actuated "Aux Start" switch at coach dash and can hear relay actuation
6. All other functions on the board appear to be normal with both battery set relays (main and aux) seeming to work normally.

If I have the coach inverter/converter charging the Aux battery while on shore power such that voltage is greater than the threshold 13.3 volts and I then press the "Aux Start" switch at the coach dash, should that close the isolator relay such that the main battery will then charge so that I can determine that the isolator relay internal contacts are good by measureing the voltage on the main battery?

Looking for any other ideas on how to trouble shoot that issolator relay before I start swapping parts.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 53-00886-100.pdf (475.5 KB, 297 views)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The PDF explains very well how to trouble shoot that solenoid.

With that said, your thinking is correct. Establish the conditions that you listed and, with the solenoid activated, the two batteries should connect and read the same voltage. If you hear the solenoid activate, and the voltage readings still indicate that the batteries are at different levels (not connected) then the internal contacts are burned.

A point of concern is that with the conditions you mentioned, the BIRD function should have already activated that solenoid.

If the solenoid proves to be defective, replace it. If it's contacts are fine, then you have a BIRD function failure.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Lou... thinking further about this I think I should be able to test the relay contacts functionality without starting the rig or gen set up. I will measure the voltage of each bank of batteries and then with the relay activated manually at the BCC board, re-measure the voltages. If the relay contacts are good, those voltages should move significantly closer together. Once I can determine the isolation relay is good (or bad) I will remap my next steps.

Jim
Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinsfi View Post
Thanks Lou... thinking further about this I think I should be able to test the relay contacts functionality without starting the rig or gen set up. I will measure the voltage of each bank of batteries and then with the relay activated manually at the BCC board, re-measure the voltages. If the relay contacts are good, those voltages should move significantly closer together. Once I can determine the isolation relay is good (or bad) I will remap my next steps.

Jim
You got it, my friend.....
Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lou, one more question. Once the issolation relay pulls in at 13.3 volts, say while driving down the road, does the BCC maintain the closed relay condition until the voltage drops to below 12 volts (with ignition on) or unitl ignition is switched off?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It will remain energized only until the batteries drop to 12.6 after the engine ignition is turned off. The battery voltage would have to drop to 12.2 with the engine ignition ON before the solenoid would drop out.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK further update. The isolation relay (Trombetta 114-1211-010) appears to have failed. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the relay will close however the large battery voltage differences measured on each high pot terminal on the relay indicate that the contacts are bad within the relay.

I was able to measure the output of the BCC driver to the isolation relay and the board appears to be operating normally with the relay pulling in when the converter starts charging the coach battery set, and opening up when I shut down the converter and discharge the coach batteries a bit using a fan/light etc. One thing I did notice that I was not expecting was that the voltage on the center coil of the relay was higher than I thought it was supposed to be. I thought that to keep the heat down on the relay, when the BCC pulled the relay in the voltage was supposed to be between 6 and 8 volts and I was measuring closer to 10 volts. Looks like I will be looking for a new relay.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Jim, When you purchase the new isolation relay, from NAPA or whomever, make sure it is classified as a," continuous duty," relay. My experience tells me the isolation relay has a life span of about 5 years. There are a lot of folks out there that don't realize their's has failed a long time ago.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
It will remain energized only until the batteries drop to 12.6 after the engine ignition is turned off. The battery voltage would have to drop to 12.2 with the engine ignition ON before the solenoid would drop out.
Lou
I have made some additional measurements on my Intellitec BCC and have determined that my Trambetta 114-1211-010 isolation has failed with burnt relay contacts being the likely root cause. In the process of making this determination however, I noticed something that did not seem right on the BCC. The voltage measured on J22 which supplies the power from the BCC to the isolation relay to close it, was nearly 13 volts. I monitored it for some time and it stayed at nearly 13 volts while the coach was charging on shore power. The isolation relay was very warm/hot to the touch. I thought I had read on anther post somewhere, that the voltage on that J22 connector should be around 6 to 8 volts to help keep the relay from overheating??

I see in the troubleshooting guide for the "RV Custom Products" version of the BCC, that this relay is pulsed at a 50% duty cycle to effectively lower the voltage supplied to the coil and reduce heat load, but I don't see any mention of this in the troubleshooting guide for the Intellitec version. Do you know if this feature is implemented in the Intellitec BCC or not? I will replace that isolation relay but want to be certain that the BCC board is OK before doing so.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinsfi View Post
Lou
I have made some additional measurements on my Intellitec BCC and have determined that my Trambetta 114-1211-010 isolation has failed with burnt relay contacts being the likely root cause. In the process of making this determination however, I noticed something that did not seem right on the BCC. The voltage measured on J22 which supplies the power from the BCC to the isolation relay to close it, was nearly 13 volts. I monitored it for some time and it stayed at nearly 13 volts while the coach was charging on shore power. The isolation relay was very warm/hot to the touch. I thought I had read on anther post somewhere, that the voltage on that J22 connector should be around 6 to 8 volts to help keep the relay from overheating??

I see in the troubleshooting guide for the "RV Custom Products" version of the BCC, that this relay is pulsed at a 50% duty cycle to effectively lower the voltage supplied to the coil and reduce heat load, but I don't see any mention of this in the troubleshooting guide for the Intellitec version. Do you know if this feature is implemented in the Intellitec BCC or not? I will replace that isolation relay but want to be certain that the BCC board is OK before doing so.
Jim, I really can't answer your question. I knew/know how RV-CP does it, but always took Intellitec at their word and didn't have a unit to test it with.

Winnebago and Monaco have always applied full battery voltage to the Trombetta, and have had many reported failures.

I would just replace it with a good quality continuous duty solenoid with a 14volt coil. Probably much cheaper than the Trombetta.

P.S.
I'm not sure if the Trombetta can be pried open, like the "tin can" solenoids can, to clean the contacts, but since yours was NOT a coil failure, it may be worth a try. I've done this on many solenoid when the owner didn't want the cost of a new solenoid. That's what I get for doing the diagnosis for free

Tags
battery