Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Battery Corrosion

A friend has a diesel pusher with battery corrosion problem. Acid fumes are attacking hold down strap clamps leaving acid powder covering them. I have totally cleaned the batteries, pan and straps by removing them and washing thoroughly. Within 2 weeks all the submissive metals are again covered in acid powder. I thought it might be because the battery area wasn't well ventilated but leaving his battery access door open hasn't slowed the powder. Any help would appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2

TONEUMANNS...I have been fighting that syndrome in every car I ever bought.... here is how I get past the white powder stuff.... 1. remove and clean terminals with a nylon brush and baking soda/water mix (rinse them off good) Clean all affected parts with baking soda (it helps neutralize the sulfate) .... use petroleum jelly to lube the posts and reinstall. I went an extra yard on the straps....I clear coated them on most vehicles or used the petroleum jelly on them too.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
TONEUMANNS...I have been fighting that syndrome in every car I ever bought.... here is how I get past the white powder stuff.... 1. remove and clean terminals with a nylon brush and baking soda/water mix (rinse them off good) Clean all affected parts with baking soda (it helps neutralize the sulfate) .... use petroleum jelly to lube the posts and reinstall. I went an extra yard on the straps....I clear coated them on most vehicles or used the petroleum jelly on them too.
I agree on that remedy
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Overfilling cells and overcharging are a couple of reasons why it keeps reoccurring.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Put 4oz of mineral oil in each cell and you won't have this problem. 4oz per cell on 6V. Put in mine two years ago and I don't have any problems now.
gmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I had similar issues with my coach batteries. The prescribed fixes are correct. About a year and a half ago, on this forum, I learned about adding Mineral Oil to your battery fluid. I tried it, and couldn't be more pleased. It really helps with corrosion, but more importantly the amount of distiller water I was having to add to the batteries is much, much less. And the corrosion problems are much less.
It seems like the recommendation was 4 oz of mineral oil per cell.
Search IRV 2, lots of guys are doing it with good results.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #7

Corrosion is a Normal Condition caused by the discharge of Acid Reside during the charging process of all Lead Acid Batteries.
There are ways however to slow this process to a more manageable level.

1/. Check the charge rate. Over charging will cause excessive Hydrogen Gas to be discharged and accelerate corrosion. Not to mention reducing the life of the battery and having to add Distilled Water more often than necessary.
The Battery Voltage should not exceed 13.6 - 13.7 VDC. If it is higher, you need to check the charger and lower the charge rate accordingly.

2/. The next thing you can do is add Mineral Oil to each cell to reduce the amount of gas released and thus reduced corrosion.
You can buy mineral oil at most Pharmacies (used as a laxative). Best way is to add the oil (4 Oz./Cell on a 6 Volt, 2 Oz./Cell on a 12 Volt Battery) when the water level is low and then top up to proper level with Distilled Water.

3/. Clean all cable connections with Baking Soda and a Wire Brush then coat all connections with a Dielectric Grease and re-connect.
NOTE: Use caution when cleaning with Baking Soda that it does not get into the cells. It will ruin a battery instantly.

These few little steps will keep the batteries clean and reduce the amount of water required. You should only have to add water to your batteries once a year or so. Making more time to sit back and enjoy a few cold ones.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Don't know the age of your friends coach, but changing to
AGM batteries will eliminate all the corrosion issues. And
he will have very little maintenance to perform.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
KIX

Mineral Oil.......very inexpensive 'upgrade'
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I too feel the ventilation in the battery compartment leaves something to be desired. I have not gone the mineral oil route yet but in the interim, since I am able to park in a secure garage I open the battery compartment and pull the house battery tray out. After having cleaned up the corrosion several years ago, I leave it parked with the batteries in the open, no more problems.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmullen View Post
Put 4oz of mineral oil in each cell and you won't have this problem. 4oz per cell on 6V. Put in mine two years ago and I don't have any problems now.
Yep, here's a couple pictures of our batteries after not having been cleaned for 4 years. I put 4 oz of mineral oil in each cell sometime in 2004 and these pictures were taken Jan 1, 2008. They lasted one month short of 10 years too.
In fact our battery tray/box is cleaner after 11½ years than the one in our first DSDP after 2 years without the oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	49903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	49904  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #12

Although mineral oil will work you cannot check the Specific gravity of the cells. Here is another option . Works great.

Water Miser Battery Vent Caps
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery