Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Battery cut off device?

Is there a cutoff device that will keep my batteries from going too low in the night?

Also is the built in charger in a Honda 2000 eui decent or do I need a better charger?
Constrictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You can get a battery cut off switch and install it to turn the batteries off completely, or just turn the salesman switch off.
You need to put your rig's year, make and model in your signature so we can help you better.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

I don't have a rig yet. I'm looking if there is an automatic cutoff to prevent going to low in the night.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
To my knowledge there isn't anything built in to an RV that will disconnect the battery when it drops below X charge, there could be something after market though (Amazon would know if there is).

There are many that have a setting that will automatically start the generator when the battery charge goes below X.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #5

It depends on how you are using your batteries and what system you have. My inverter will cut off battery usage when they get to a certain voltage or SOC. I would assume that is pretty typical.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Battery cut off device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constrictor View Post
Is there a cutoff device that will keep my batteries from going too low in the night?

Also is the built in charger in a Honda 2000 eui decent or do I need a better charger?

The built in battery charger in a Honda generator is for emergency only. Get a good 3 stage 120 volt battery charger, and plug it into the generator.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7402.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	762.7 KB
ID:	175881
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here's one:

Blue Sea 7635 Solenoid M 65A 12V Low Voltage Disconnect

And another:

https://powerwerx.com/low-voltage-di...yABEgLZs_D_BwE

And again!!!:

Victron VE Bus BMS - Battery Management Systems for 12 volt Lithium battery banks
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

Thank you! Looks like no one must be using these devices here though? Do people get up multiple
times in the night to check voltage then?
Old 09-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constrictor View Post
Thank you! Looks like no one must be using these devices here though? Do people get up multiple
times in the night to check voltage then?

Many have an automatic generator start device. (AGS)

It will start the generator to charge batteries when voltage gets to a programmed level.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Community Moderator

i don't use a device like any one of those but a voltage sensitive buzzer. whenever the voltage is dropped to my set point, it will buzz loud. with the size of battery and solar system i have, the buzzer has only set off once in a winter day in 5 years.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #11

Battery cut off device?

Constrictor, if you are using 120v devices supplied by an inverter that's installed in your rig you may have a setting for low battery cutout (LBC). It would not allow batts to go below whatever you've programmed it for. 12v could continue to draw however.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #12

Look at:

Wirth Co 20395 Battery Life Preserver Black Automatic Battery Disconnect
msmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 PM   #13

When boondocking I always carry my Genny and a battery charger, the charge circuit on on my Genny output for charging in minimal, whereas the battery charger will do the job much faster however when plugged in, my converter which is three stage does a great job of charging the battery and keeping it topped off. The spare charger is for backup and sometimes to assist others that might need my assistance.

Tags
battery