Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Desulfation

Having just purchased two new 6V Batts I'm very interested in keeping them in tip top shape. What are your thoughts on devices like these? Good idea or Snake Oil?

PulseTech Desulfation Products | ChargingChargers.com

Seems like at least some of them can be permanently be left in place.

Your thoughts wise sages.

Thanks,
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Battery Minder.

Pricey but is worth the one time investment.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

I am a Battery Minder Plus user of many years...the battery in my John Deere diesel tractor is now 14 years old and still starts and runs my tractor like it was new. The Battery Minder Plus is on it unless I'm using it. The same thing holds true for my two ATVs (now 7 years old), my zero turn mower (now 9 years old) and up until a couple of years ago both my antique cars were on them. I also use one on my Cougar and my Honda EU3000iS generator (5 years old). I think the battery ages speak for the Battery Minder Plus' worth, at least to me. Basically, I swear by them and if I own a piece of equipment with a battery on board, it spends its "rest" time on the Battery Minder Plus.

I recently went to the Pulse Tech XTreme charge system for my antique cars because with the one unit and the 4 channel multiplier I can charge/maintain both cars with a single unit and still have two more ports that I can use for other pieces of equipment. That was a couple of years ago and I see no difference between it and the Battery Minder Plus. The reason I went with the XTreme system was on the recommendation of a friend of mine that runs a Battery Warehouse locally. He swears by them and I was getting ready to buy some more Battery Minder's and he recommended that I switch to the XTreme unit that would handle the two antique cars...that would free up two Battery Minders and would only take one plug in my garage instead of two, freeing up a plug. Like I needed more plugs, I have plugs every 8 feet, but, I went ahead with the swap since the XTreme system was just a couple of dollars more than the two Battery Minder Pluses would have cost.

IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with either, however, if you have multiple batteries that you need to support, the Pulse Tech XTreme unit with the 4 channel multiplier will allow up to 4 batteries (you can even mix the type of batteries) at one time to be maintained with one power head unit. If, for instance, the Battery Minder Plus units that I have on my ATVs go south or I need them for something else, I'll get the Pulse Tech unit and another 4 channel multiplier to put both of them, and the tractor (they are stored together in same garage) on one unit instead of having 3 Battery Minder Plus units spread around.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

I have a BM plus hooked to my chassis battery and a BM 12248 to my house batteries. The BMs are in my garage and both are on umbilical cords to my MH.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

I too am a satisfied BatteryMinder customer. I have them on everything. My oldest battery is a Yuasa gelcel in a 2001 mtcyl.

I have the OBD12 on my Damon house battery pack.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW! Thanks everyone. I'm sensing a theme here, lol. I know what my next piece of kit will be.

Thanks again,
Stewart
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Never heard of Xtreme, but that doesn't mean it's not a good unit. I know BM has a 2-3 year warranty.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I been doing some reading up on both the Battery Minder and PulseTech. I think my choice , because I don't have shore power available at my storage site, would be BatteryMINDer Model SCC-015, because I like the Battery condition Indicator, with the PluseTech QuadLink, unless there is a way to get the SCC-015 to be able to do 2x12v in Parallel and 2x6V in Series at the same time. Couldn't see it in the online info, but it was eluded to in one of the reviews.
This would be a pricy setup, less so if I can get the SCC-015 to do everything by it's self, but if it extends the life of all my batteries as advertised then it would be worth it.
Your thoughts on my choices?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With less than 1.5 watt output it will just keep a trickle charge on. You will not be able to have any parasitic drains. Maybe a complete disconnect before the charging circuits.

Happy trails, or is it trials.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
With less than 1.5 watt output it will just keep a trickle charge on. You will not be able to have any parasitic drains. Maybe a complete disconnect before the charging circuits.

Happy trails, or is it trials.
rgr, agree. I was thinking about going with full disconnects on each set in any case.

Stewart
Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #11

We have 3 battery minders on ours as we have 3 battery SYSTEMS.

On the generator/leveler/memory battery up front it is a group 31 (ford diesel) with the 1.5 amp model, works great as only parisitic loads of the clocks and radios.

The starting battery is 2 8D @ 1500 to 1700 CCA, the 8 amp model is on that one.

The coach battery system is complex so to speak.

It is a pair of the same size 8D batteries, (starting batteries but do the job well), and a few small gel cell batteries for portable fans and other things that are plugged in to maintain their charge in float.

These additional batteries added to the 2 8D exceed the capacity of the 8 amp unit.

The 8 amp unit is not quite large enough, so we have a 1.5 amp HF battery maintainer added, it seems to be just enough.

The 8 amp battery minders are rated for multiple batteries in parallel, a pair of high capacity 8D are at the upper limit.

What happens is they cannot complete their "maintenance cycle" and will fault out.

It took the engine batteries several cycles to finally be happy and stay green.

The coach batteries will not green up unless the HF unit is attached.

Generator battery always happy.

The battery minder also does NOT load the battery if connected to battery and no ac power, the HF unit will drain the battery if it looses power...dont ask...

So check your battery size, confirm any parasitic loads then determine which unit you need.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a Serrano 31X and I purchased 2 BM+ and installed then in the compartment next to the batteries. Ran the wires through the compartment wall and attached to the batteries. They are connected to an extension and when we store the MH I open the door to the compartment t and plug in.
Denniscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
We have a Serrano 31X and I purchased 2 BM+ and installed then in the compartment next to the batteries. Ran the wires through the compartment wall and attached to the batteries. They are connected to an extension and when we store the MH I open the door to the compartment t and plug in.
Sadly the place where I store my MH has no power available, this is the reason I'm thinking about the solar setup. It's not so much for the charge, the 20Amp panel w/ a 7.2 Amp whatchamacallit works fine at charging the House batteries, and Chassis batteries through a TrickLStart. I have that now.
I'm really after the desulfication.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All of the Proressive Dynamics 9200 series converter chargers, do a desulfication cycle every 21hrs .

Tags
battery