Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
battery problems

I have a 2006 providence recently replaced starting batteries. House batteries are dead. The starer batteries died after 2 months even when it was plugged to shore power. The house batteries didn't charge. It's sat for 2 months, I charged the starter batteries and started the engine. I put new house batteries in today turned on the battery switches and the only thing that started working was the inverter, it started charging. Do you think that a solenoid is bad or maybe a fuse.
Appreciate your help.

Thanks Greg
redneckbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckbiker
I have a 2006 providence recently replaced starting batteries. House batteries are dead. The starer batteries died after 2 months even when it was plugged to shore power. The house batteries didn't charge. It's sat for 2 months, I charged the starter batteries and started the engine. I put new house batteries in today turned on the battery switches and the only thing that started working was the inverter, it started charging. Do you think that a solenoid is bad or maybe a fuse.
Appreciate your help.

Thanks Greg
This was posted in the Fleetwood section and was not answered. I advised " Redneckbiker" to repost here as it wasn't Fleetwood specific and I thought he might have better luck here.

Anyone have any thoughts? It may be in the inverter. I don't have one. He is a new member.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckbiker View Post
Appreciate your help.

Thanks Greg
Greg,

I'm not familiar with your coach, so I can only talk in generalities. The first tool any RVer needs is a volt meter. If you don't have one, get one.

When plugged into shore power, your charger should charge the coach batteries. Most coaches are also equipped to charge the chassis batttery (s). Since you have 2 of them, I assume you have a diesel.

Since both battery banks were dead, there is a problem in the charging system. I would first make sure all 120v breakers are in the proper position. If you find any tripped, push them to full OFF before flipping them back on. Now with volt meter in hand, check the 120v outlet the charger is plugged into to make sure it has power. You may have just a charger/converter. You may also have an Inverter/converter/charger. If so, you should check to see if it has any circuit breakers.

Now check the coach batteries. If they are at anything less than 13 volts, they are not being charged. If no breakers are tripped on the charger and there is 120v going to it, then I would have to suspect the charger.

Then I would remove shore power and start the generator. Now perform the same test again and note any differences.

Next I would shut down generator and start engine. If batteries (both banks) are up around14v, then you know the alternator is charging them properly. If the coach batteries are not up around 14v, then the solenoid for that system is not working.

Since I don't know your system, do these checks and get back to us. Hopefully by then someone who knows your particular setup will be available to help.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery