Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Battery selection - 6 volt versus 12 volt?

I've searched the forum and web and am more confused the more I read. I currently have 4 100Ah wet cell house batteries which I am about to replace with AGM batteries. All things being equal which configuration will give me more peak draw?

4 6 volt 200Ah batteries (2 wired in series and parallel together)
4 12 volt 100Ah batteries (all wired in parallel)

I have a 2000 watt inverter and need peak draw for say 5 minutes to run my 1500 watt microwave. My current wet cell bank will only run the microwave for 1-2 minutes before it throws the fuse. It's my understanding that the wet cell batteries have limited peak draw capacity and I should get better peak draw with AGM batteries.

Thanks
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeertz View Post
I have a 2000 watt inverter and need peak draw for say 5 minutes to run my 1500 watt microwave. My current wet cell bank will only run the microwave for 1-2 minutes before it throws the fuse. It's my understanding that the wet cell batteries have limited peak draw capacity and I should get better peak draw with AGM batteries.
I've never heard of peak draw being a factor in solar setup and design. (other than inverter) I suspect you have voltage drop or some other wiring problem that prevents your current setup from being able to run the microwave for 5 minutes. Have you actually used a kill-a-watt meter or something else to see your max draw with the microwave? I've seen some that were way higher than spec.

I think 200#'s of 12 deep cycle would work just like 200#'s of 6 volt deep cycle. Many installers ( pro and diy) don't use adequate wiring.

I'm no pro and this is IMO.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

First, what size fuse ? You should be running at least a 175 amp fuse. Most recommend 250 amps and 2/0 cables.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, as far as 6 volt or 12 volt batteries.

At the 20 Hour rate you can draw 5 amps per 100 AH of capacity, so your looking at 20 amps " steady " to meet the 20 hour rating. Of course you can draw much more, but the batteries will discharge faster. There are charts listing the 1, 5, 10, and longer hour rates.

A 15 amp draw at 120 volts is 150 amp draw at 12 volts, plus 10% to 20% losses in the system.

Going with a 175 amp draw, for 15 minutes, that's 43 AH out of your 200 AH of capacity.

As far as a higher rate of drawing down AGMs, I've haven't heard that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdeertz View Post
I've searched the forum and web and am more confused the more I read. I currently have 4 100Ah wet cell house batteries which I am about to replace with AGM batteries. All things being equal which configuration will give me more peak draw?

4 6 volt 200Ah batteries (2 wired in series and parallel together)
4 12 volt 100Ah batteries (all wired in parallel)

Thanks
as others have already made it clear, the capacity/"peak draw" of these two batteries are very similar. what you are experiencing is not likley caused by the batteries you are using; rather the size of the fuse. 1500w microwave compounded with inverter efficiency, wire heat, modified wave deficiency (if yours is), etc, will demand 150a -170a from the battery pack at 12v nominal; assuming your battery cables are of 2/0 size. if your fuse (type t) is less than 200a, it might be blown especially in summer time. the recommended size is 300a. as for why it blows after 1 to 2 minutes, because the fuse needs time to accumulate heat until to the blowing point.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. Answer to some of your questions are:

1) The 2000 watt inverter has a 250amp fuse which should easily handle a 1500 watt load
2) I stated the microwave at 1500 watts but kilowatt confirmed peak demand was only 1360watts so its slightly less than I had originally used in my calculations.
3) Inverter is wired using double 1/0 cables which according to my calculations should be sufficient.
4) AGM batteries have a lower peukerts exponent and therefore can dispense a charge at a higher rate than wet cell batteries. (seehttp://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/ andhttps://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/peukert-s-law-a-nerds-attempt-to-explain-battery-capacity.html for discussion of peukerts law and AGM versus wet cell)

I guess what I'm hearing from the comments so far is that 4 100Ah 12 volt batteries will approximate 4 200Ah 6 volt batteries. I had heard the 6 volt golf cart batteries had larger lead plates which seems to bear out when I compare the weights of 2 6 volt batteries to a comparable Ah 12 volt battery. A downsize I see of using going the 6 volt route is if one battery dies prematurely my capacity will be at 50% while in the 12 volt route I'd have 75% of my capacity available.
Wdeertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, battery