Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
IC2

Battery went .... errr 'toes up'

I was doing my fall clean out yesterday and noticed a sulfurous odor drifting in - a familiar one after working on vehicles for many years (mostly hobby). When I checked the batteries, one of the two was hot enough to fry eggs - evidently after almost 7 years it had died. It's cooled and out and will be 'final' checked this morning but suspect an end of life service at a dealer soon.

The discussions for 2x6v 'golf cart' vs the original 2x12v 'marine' deep cycle have been interesting, especially since we are in the planning stages of a several month trip next spring. The Trojan T-105 is about what I need, but the closest dealer is over 125 miles away - unless I can find a local golf cart dealer. There is an Interstate Battery dealer reasonably close - are there any opinions on their 6v golf cart batteries? The batteries I took out yesterday were 12v Interstates with the second being 3 years old.

Now - to get 'cheap' - Walmart marine and deep cycle. Is there any reason to consider them? Or not!! I seem to be surrounded by at least 6-8 of those stores within 20 miles, with them being everywhere nationwide if a battery fails under warranty.

Oh yeah, as for a charger, the 5er has an Intellipower 9130, backed by 160 watts of Siemans solar panels and a dinky ~1w trickle charge solar unit mounted on the a/c.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe the Trojan 105's are closer than you think. In our part of the country, SAM's Discount Club has them, and BJ's is just like a SAM's. Have you tried them, about 22 miles away?

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

IC2,
Do you also have the PD9105 Charge Wizard option (PD9105, PD9105G Charge Wizard) for your PD9130 Converter? The PD9100 series converter only functions as a 13.6VDC converter without that option. With the option, it functions as a modern 3-stage converter/charger. You can pick them up for less than $30 on ebay. Simply plugs into the converter.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just in case....I read a while back that wallyworld batts are made by Everyready. I used some in my Chevy dually with camper a few years back, without any troubles.

And yes, wallyworld is everywhere, so if you ever had to get another, you will be near one.

I needed a batt (old Sears one that came with truck) out on the road in rural (and I mean rural) Texas. Low and behold.....wallyworld !!!

We sell Interstate at at my shop because they too are everywhere.....and in 10 years, I've only had to warranty 3 batts.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Lead acid batteries are commodity items of mature design and manufacture. Brand, voltage, and other such popular obsessions are insignificant as far as performance goes.

Find a retailer who sells a lot to folks who use batteries like you do and stands behind what he sells. Then look at price, specifications, and warranty as your primary purchasing guide.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently bought a couple 12 volt batteries for my car and the engine battery on my coach. My research showed Costco, Sam's Club and Walmart batteries are all the same. So I bought at Walmart and got a three year free replacement warranty included.

My two coach 6 volt batteries are about due to be replaced and I will get them at Walmart or Sam's club.

I figure there is always a Walmart wherever I go in the country so if there is a problem they are close by.

If you have to drive two hundred miles round trip for batteries that bumps the cost up a lot. Not worth it in my humble opinion.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
IC2,
Do you also have the PD9105 Charge Wizard option (PD9105, PD9105G Charge Wizard) for your PD9130 Converter? The PD9100 series converter only functions as a 13.6VDC converter without that option. With the option, it functions as a modern 3-stage converter/charger. You can pick them up for less than $30 on ebay. Simply plugs into the converter.

Dave

Yes, I do
Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
IC2

With as many Wally Worlds - I'll go with a couple of their batteries as replacements - seems that at least the current ones in the store are all by Johnson Controls, the same folks that made the several year old Optima in my street rod.

The idea of 6v batteries still appeals to me too, but that means new battery boxes, replacing the year old ones on top of the batteries which equals even more $$$$ and for my usage, no real return.

Thanks for the conversation folks

Tags
battery