Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Beauty products safe for water system?

Hi my lovely other half likes a lot of goopy, sticky, oily lady products - shampoos and conditioners, soaps and lotions and who knows what. It's all goopy, sticky oily sfuff which leaves a thick sticky film on the tub at home. I'm worried it will gunk up the grey water system in the new rv. So what's the verdict? Does she have to switch to biodegradable / lightweight soaps or can she use her weird purple conditioner?
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Hi my lovely other half likes a lot of goopy, sticky, oily lady products - shampoos and conditioners, soaps and lotions and who knows what. It's all goopy, sticky oily sfuff which leaves a thick sticky film on the tub at home. I'm worried it will gunk up the grey water system in the new rv. So what's the verdict? Does she have to switch to biodegradable / lightweight soaps or can she use her weird purple conditioner?
FaithBowls
Methinks biodegradable/lightweight would be better than
goopy/sticky/oily.

However I've heard you can always tell a woman ...(but you can't tell them much).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #3

Beauty products safe for water system?

Quote:

I prefer a clean,good smelling, smooth, happy, better half so let her use it the oils might lube the valve. Just absolutely no feminine products down the toilet they can and will stop up valve.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

Really I'm concerned with build up in the lines and tanks. I'm also worried goop could cover the tank sensors. Anyone has any experience like that?
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

If it concerns you, after you empty the grey tank, pour a cup of Dawn down the sink followed by a couple gallons of water. This will help keep the goop and other oily things from being a problem.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Really I'm concerned with build up in the lines and tanks. I'm also worried goop could cover the tank sensors. Anyone has any experience like that?

If poop can't hurt I'm sure shampoos and conditioners won't . Wash your dishes with dawn as other post stated.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Nothing to worry about.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't worry about it. If your other half is like mine she used every bit of hot water which cut through all the goop!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Pretty much everyone who owns an RV has experience with tank content affecting the tank sensors. The high paid engineers and the high paid accountants who forced the high paid engineers to cut corners to shave a few bucks off the cost of production worked long and hard to ensure that all RV'ers get to experience the excitement of not really knowing the tank fill status. Questionably readings from the holding tank sensors are simply a fact of RV life. More often than not I estimate my holding tank status by relying on how much water the fresh water sensors tell me I have left than what the holding tank sensors tell me I have room for.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #10

Holding Tank Maintenance (GEO Method)

FaithBowls-

"Ah, grasshopper, asking about 'purple conditioner' is a sign you already know the answer."*

It helps to keep holding tanks clean. If you search you'll find many threads on their maintenance. Below are similar posts I made on two such threads.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/black...ml#post2763492
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fowl...ml#post2782636

*(Here's the Wikipedia entry for those who may not understand the "grasshopper" reference.)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
You might consider one of these in your gray tank. It's called the Tornado washout kit from CW. I had a problem with my Itasca showing full when it wasn't. When I cut the hole in the gray tank to install this washout system, there was a 1/16" coating of greasy-soapy gunk on the inside of the tank. This caused the through the wall sensors to think it was full. A few sessions of Dawn and consistent use of the washout system totally cleaned it out and I never had another problem. If you keep it clean it's a lot easier than cleaning it once it gums up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TornadoSystem.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	120957  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Dawn us a grease cutter.

Draino powder or lye is magic stuff that attacks anything organic.

So wash dishes with dawn as well as using it as hand soap in dispensers.

That should get enough into the system to get the other stuff.

If you really want to get it clean dump the tank and add about 1/4 cup of lye into each sink and pour in 1 quart or so water real slow.

This will clean the traps.

The lye will NOT hurt any art of the system.

Let it soak for an hour or overnight.

Turn on faucets to flush drains into gray and monitor water level until 3/4 full.

Let soak in tank or drive home or down the road.

You can add lye to black tank too.

Dump tanks and rinse.

If not in already the tornado above is a great product, install and use it.

Tags
water