Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best all-in-one option - Radio, XM, Camera, and Navi?

Hi all -

We've been looking to simplify our dashboard by changing to a combined system, and would appreciate feedback from those of you who have already gone down this path. It looks as if two viable options are the Jensen JRV212T (used in some Thor motorhomes) or the Xite XSG2NA-X1S (used in some Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes) as the best compromise but would welcome other suggestions.

Our current set up: We have a a rear-and side-view monitor at the top of our dash, and a radio (magnadyne) in the bottom center of the dash, a little far away from the driver's seat to easily change without leaning over and looking down, not a safe spot. In addition, we have an XM receiver on a suction cup that is plugged into the front auxiliary input on the radio, and finally a GPS system (Tom Tom) on a different suction cup on the dash. The GPS and XM devices are each plugged into a 12v cigarette lighter.

What we'd like: we'd like to put a single unit in the same spot where the monitor is now, as it is the most convenient and safest for the driver to access and keep eyes on the road. The monitor appears to be in a double-dinn space but would likely need an adapter or framing to take a standard radio (don't know until we get in there).

What our research shows: virtually all current double-dinn radios over $500 seem to include a touch-screen Navi system and SiriusXM radio (we know we need to buy the SiriusXM antenna and receiver separately). Many of them also have a rear camera input that can be triggered by 'reverse,' but we haven't found any that also accomodate side-view cameras triggered by the turn signals.

The best compromise we've found seems to be the Jensen head unit, which combines the radio, SiriusXM and three-camera inputs but not Navi. I've also found so-so reviews of the Jensen system, which appears to have been used in some Thor motorhomes for a couple of years now and to have some issues with locking up and with a non-intuitive interface (subjective, I know). If we go with the Jensen we'll still need to use a GPS on a suction cup but at least the radio, SiriusXM and monitor will all be combined in a more convenient spot.

The Xite XSG2NA-X1S as installed in Winn/Itasca coaches is installed with two screens - an 'active' monitor and a 'dumb' monitor that is controlled by the active monitor. From reading the owners manual it looks as if the 'active' monitor can have all the functions self contained, including showing both camera and navi at the same time in PIP mode with automatic triggers for side turn signals and in reverse.

So the Jensen does three of the four things we want (no navi) and the Xite does all four. CW sells and installs the Jensen so we can be sure there would be some support; whereas I can't find anybody who installs and supports the Xite unit other than Winn/Itasca itself.

Any thoughts from those who have evaluated options? Any which we've missed? Any comments, positive or negative, from those who may already be using either of the units named - existing Thor or Winn/Itasca owners?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts; we're ready to pull the plug and hope to only do this once!

Safe travels to all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since you're asking for opinions, here's mine. Save yourself disappointment trying to get good navigation in an all-in-one unit. Get a Garmin, or one of the other options that are dedicated, high quality navigation devices and find a convenient and safe place to mount it. This should also open up your possibilities for the balance of the functions in a single unit.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks ManG - that's the direction we're leaning as well, which would lead to the Jensen unit and keeping the separate GPS. GPS technology improves and changes quickly whereas rear/side cameras and radio/XM technology not so much.

At least we'd only have one item on a suction cup on the dash!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #4

Get a separate gps system that has lifetime updates as part of the purchase price. Then get the other items in the radio/stereo etc. That way when the gps becomes obsolete you can dump it and still have a functioning sound system. We have 3 old gps systems that while they work are either no longer supported or just completely out of date from the programming.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

I have the JRV212T in my 2014 Berkshire and don't like it at all! Refuses to store favorites and hard to navigate. I would replace it a heartbeat if I can find a better unit with 3 camera inputs. Everything I have seen only has 1 input. Wondering if there is a splitter-type device to bring 3 inputs into 1?

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Sounds like you need a nice lap top! Has all the things you want.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

We have the Winnebago unit in our 2014 Adventurer and really like it with all in one plus it is made for RV's that is you have to program in your height and other information.

So far it has done everything just right for us including PIP and the 3 cameras. It has the Sirius radio but I opted after the trial period not to get it as I don't need to spend the extra money. The existing radio and CD player work fine and you can even play a DVD disc through it but not while you are driving.

I like the four in one system and would recommend it highly as like I said before it is geared for RVs and has Campgrounds, Wal-marts and Cracker Barrels in it plus a lot of other great features.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I also don't like the Jensen. Wish there were more alternatives.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #9

We have a Sony all in one with Tom Tom gps. It came with our 2013 FW. It is already obsolete and very clunky to operate. I will replace it with a receiver that has bluetooth connectivity and use my smartphone for gps, music, etc. Our back up cameras are controlled by a separate unit.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #10

The correct Garmin GPS will have a plugin for the backup camera. One down!
No aftermarket radio I have ever seen has a built in Sat radio. So your going to have to buy another item to hide under the days somewhere. Then it is dedicated to one place. I assume your XM radio is a portable so cut the cigarette lighter plug off and wire it directly to the same fuse that feeds your radio. One plug in gone! Actually you could do the same for the GPS and eliminate plug number two! If you wire those two items to a circuit that is only hot when the ignition is on they will all shut down when the ignition is turned off.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the Jensen in our ACE 29.2 Thor...really like it, got the module for XM radio..even has a weather ban that will interrupt whatever you are listening to to local weather warnings...we use the Magellan RV GPS...like that alot, also...the more we use it the better we get at navigating...I especially like when it alerts you to going over the 55 MPH speed limit....
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

Tom-NC: Please post the brand and model of your unit - I would like to check it out. Thanks

Rkc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Ditto on the seperate GPS. My coach came with an all-in-one unit, but I do not like to have to swictch back and forth between radio screen and GPS screen. There is a side-by-side setting that shows both at once, but then both are too small for good viewing. So I bought a free-standing GPS and I am happy.

As for a GPS with backup camera, same problem. You want to have both the GPS and camera showing at the same time, but with one combined unit you only get one or the other. In my coach I have separate screens for radio, backup camera and GPS. They are all showing at the same time so I can view any of them by just moving my head.

I have the Rand McNally 7725 GPS and I like it. I think the 7" Garmin RV GPS is good also.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #14

We have a 2013 Thor Chateau 33SW Super C. It came from the factory with a Pioneer model AVH-P1400DVD, double DIN, which can be purchased online or at the big box stores for about $300. Very good sound quality and easy to navigate. Although this is a all-in-one (AM-FM-CD-DVD-SAT radio-BT-NAV-outside camera support) you have to add the BT module and the GPS (NAVTEQ) module which raises the cost to over $675. Thor uses SONY side and rear cameras which come together and then plugs into the Pioneer camera port. It would be nice to remove some of the dash clutter but I'm having a hard time justifying the additional GPS cost knowing its not up to date or RV friendly. Something to think about.
GiantDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, radio