Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Best convection oven option.

Our microwave recently but the dust and we had to search for a new one. Space was a main concern( to fit o.e. space best as we could) and convection oven ability as we don't have a gas oven and DW loves to bake.
We settled on a Frigidaire Professional series and it looks great, reheats a cup of coffee quickly, but sucks as a convection oven!
The hottest it will get is 350 and it is always 100 degrees lower than what its set for.

Any recommendations for a 2nd try?Click image for larger version

Name:	1500493226710.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	169281
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #2

We really like our whirlpool gold.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #3

I picked up a Whirlpool one from Lowe's. The no fingerprint one. So far only did the convection thing once to test it out. The reviews were good. I like that you can barely hear it run and if someone is sleeping it has a musical chime instead of a beep. The fan is high velocity so the volume of air makes that noisy, contrary to popular complaint it's not really a bad thing. And still quieter than my GE.

Just make sure you secure the lower front to the cabinet. The household ones aren't set up for the rigors of going down the road and could pull loose.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #4

You should research the Toaster/covection types. You can store it when not in use.
The 10 Best Convection Ovens Reviewed – Top Picks for 2017

I have an oven but use a Black and Decker toaster/C-over a lot for pizza, toast etc.

There are a wide range of prices.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
We really like our whirlpool gold.
Do you have good results baking with convection?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You should research the Toaster/covection types. You can store it when not in use.
The 10 Best Convection Ovens Reviewed – Top Picks for 2017

I have an oven but use a Black and Decker toaster/C-over a lot for pizza, toast etc.

There are a wide range of prices.
Thanks, we were close to buying the KitchenAide model in that link. We just don't have the room and I want my moneys worth out of our new one!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #7

I looked at countertop options myself. We have the space but would rather not have it on my counter or drag it out when I need it. The microwave was getting replaced so why not have one thing that does the job of two.

I picked up this one at lowes since they are the only ones that have it for this price. I cant tell the difference between the no fingerprint and regular stainless. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-1...-in/1000074113

Mine is right against the wall on the left and this particular door swipes the wall a bit. I dont care myself. the other options were ugly and expensive.

The dealer did install a screw into the lower front to keep it from dropping forward. They said it has happened more than once on ones they didnt install.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I looked at countertop options myself. We have the space but would rather not have it on my counter or drag it out when I need it. The microwave was getting replaced so why not have one thing that does the job of two.

I picked up this one at lowes since they are the only ones that have it for this price. I cant tell the difference between the no fingerprint and regular stainless. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-1...-in/1000074113

Mine is right against the wall on the left and this particular door swipes the wall a bit. I dont care myself. the other options were ugly and expensive.

The dealer did install a screw into the lower front to keep it from dropping forward. They said it has happened more than once on ones they didnt install.
That unit vents to the back - hot moist air going there, not a good idea.

I have less counter top space then the OP and the toaster oven works fine. Also, it can be moved to the oven top if more counter space is needed.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Do you have good results baking with convection?
Yes we do! Bakes just as good as our convection oven at home.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #10

That's exactly what i'd been facing for over 6 months. Thankfully, the newer version of this exact model that i own now doesn't have the same issues.
Checkout its complete review here.
Top 5 best Over the range microwave Reviews
mariarhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We recently replaced out original equipment micro/convention with a GE Advantium.

Works wonderful.

Heats up coffee, our original had a problem with that and our original equipped convection oven took 45 minutes to come up to 325°.

Now - everything is quick and works as designed.

The Advantium is not cheap but I guess you get what you pay for! Right??? LOL

Good luck....

g
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariarhodes View Post
That's exactly what i'd been facing for over 6 months. Thankfully, the newer version of this exact model that i own now doesn't have the same issues.
Checkout its complete review here.
Top 5 best Over the range microwave Reviews

That link is to non-convection oven models I think.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #13

Best convection oven option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
We recently replaced out original equipment micro/convention with a GE Advantium.

Works wonderful.

Heats up coffee, our original had a problem with that and our original equipped convection oven took 45 minutes to come up to 325°.

Now - everything is quick and works as designed.

The Advantium is not cheap but I guess you get what you pay for! Right??? LOL

Good luck....

g

Well apparently at $1000 you don’t get what you pay for, but luckily manufacture paid me out on mine so it owes us nothing. Advantium looks like the way to go!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #14

Our GE Advantium went out after 15 years (DW says she feels she caused it by a mistake she made... Can't recall what it was, but arching was involved as it went out.).

As we were on the road without a full set of tools, we ordered the equivalent GE Advantium of this era. It had a cool rack, that she really likes, that can go in with the convection oven usage, to have two dishes cooking. It was a direct drop in, well hold up and screw in, replacement. The electrical cord was in a different place, so had to drill a new hole to route the plug up to the outlet in the cabinet above.

We did make one change this time around, instead of venting back into the coach, we have it venting to the outside. That we had help with by Premier in Junction City. They did a good job of cutting the hole in the side, and painting the outside vent cover to match the coach (Of course the luck of where the vent had to be placed, was part of a swirl of paints and pin striping, so more time and labor on the painting side!)

We travel a lot in hot weather, and X's 2 Penquin's 15K's sometime fight to keep out 40' coach cool in temperatures above 105... So venting outside, really will help control the heat build up. (Though I admit, we could have enjoyed the added heat at 21 degrees the last few days!!).

The DW and I were also surprised that the clock goes dark, to save the earth, unless the timer is in use... It was one of our main primary clocks in the coach. And was always a quick visual to know if Shore Power is behaving properly...

She and I both like the results. We changed from black glass to stainless steel on this unit, to match the SS of Samsung RF18...

Lowe's let us order one in, could not get it in California due to some other California unique saving us from ourselves over regulations, so had it delivered to a Lowes in Idaho. We picked it up on our way to a campground, and had it swapped out in two hours. Recycled the old unit... (We do what we can within reason!)... As mentioned, expensive, but the convection works very well.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote