Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #1

best place to buy new Onan carburetor

Need to replace one on my Onan 4000 model 4KYFA26100K

carb is the 146-0785 (new OEM #A042P619) I see them online for around $250. but was wondering if they are available cheaper or rebuilt.

Thanks
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post
. ...but was wondering if they are available cheaper or rebuilt.....
Not really and no.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #3

This is a great place for parts, but their price doesn't seem to be a bargain Onan Carb # A042P619 replaces 146-0785,0635, 0703, 0742, 0803 : Generator Parts, Generac, Onan, Kohler, Hotstart, Dynagen, Dinosaur, Newage, Leroy, Basler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostbob View Post
Need to replace one on my Onan 4000 model 4KYFA26100K

carb is the 146-0785 (new OEM #A042P619) I see them online for around $250. but was wondering if they are available cheaper or rebuilt.

Thanks
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try Amazon and eBay. My brother in law bought one on eBay for a good price"
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #5

First it would try to start and as soon as you let up on the start button it would die. Had the Mobile RV guy clean the bowl and priming pump twice, but they couldn't get it to start. Said Carb needed to be replaced, but they also said it couldn't be the fuel filter because it doesn't have one....IT DOES!

Saw a Youtube video from Seafoam showing how to unclog RV generators with a gummed up carb and tried that. Got it to start and finally it ran for approximately 15 minutes then died. Now it surging really bad.

So I'm trying the next step which is to let the Seafoam set in the carb and fuel lines for 3 days and we'll see what happens. But for now using the seafoam did way better than what it was doing before so I have my fingers crossed.

If this doesn't work then I will HAVE TO replace the carb.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Carbs are simple devices. Is there no rebuild kit available?
Is there no one who rebuilds them?
Of course I'm lucky in that I can fix most anything and have done many many carb overhauls mostly 4 barrel automotive carbs and airplane carbs.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Carbs are simple devices. Is there no rebuild kit available?
Is there no one who rebuilds them?
Of course I'm lucky in that I can fix most anything and have done many many carb overhauls mostly 4 barrel automotive carbs and airplane carbs.
I got to believe its rebuildable, if a kit is available. I'd be looking to rebuild it myself. Can't be much to it compared to automotive carbs.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #8

Onan eliminated the rebuild kits a number of years ago however when I disassembled mine for cleaning and troubleshooting after almost 1,500 hours I found nothing really wrong with it. Berrymans B12 is a bit more aggressive than the SeaFoam and would be my first choice for a problem carb which is probable why when I finally disassembled mine after treating the fuel system with the B12 it really did not need any further attention.

My stalling problems which I had automatically presumed were ethanol related turned out to be a bad magneto pickup. I now have to find a time when I am up to pulling a 300 some odd pound generator out so I can replace the pickup/coil pack.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

I've never had to replace a carburetor of any kind. I understand that Onan doesn't make rebuild kits any more, but a careful disassembly and cleaning might be possible without buying any parts. Using solvents of your favorite brand might dissolve a blockage, but often physical removal is needed.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #10

Ok, I followed the SeaFoam instructions and let it set for 3 days with a strong Seafoam/Gas mixture and it started but kept hunting or surging for approximately 10 minutes then stopped as if someone turned the switch off.

My RV gas tank is between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark so not sure that would cause it but I'm going to fill it up and try one more time. Not expecting much but worth a try.

Sooooo now it looks like I might want to take it to an Onan authorized service center since I don't want to replace the carb only to find out it might be something else.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #11

Not sure of what rig we are talking about but around 1/3 of a tank is very often the level of the fuel pickup for the generator. You may be right on the verge of sucking air.

Fill it up and treat the fuel tank with a strong mix (2 to 3 ounces per gallon) of Berrymans B12 Fuel System Cleaner not Seafoam since the Berrymans B12 is much more aggressive cleaner. Start it up and let it run until it stalls and then let it sit over night then try again in the morning. Repeat the next night and morning for a few days and see if things start to clear up.

Do not remove the carb and put it in a Berrymans Dip Can though as many plastic and rubber parts that are not removable without destroying them will simply be dissolved by it and then require replacement. The Dip if you leave parts in it longer than directed can even start dissolving metal from the base metal or softer aluminum castings too so caution is advised there. Thorough and complete rinsing as directed is critical when using the Dip.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
You'd probably still save money if tried the carb yourself. Then if it doesn't work at least the Onan center isn't going to get you for a carb and labor. Contrary to what some have said....many people have tried to clean these and still end up getting a new carb
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hate to complicate this but this is exactly what my Oman 4 kw was doing. It was the fuel pump. I bought a cheap inline fuel pump from Amazon. Not a hard job to switch it out.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #14

Thanks to everyone who has responded but I decided to quite messing with this and just take it to the Cummins dealer.

I called a local RV repair shop and they said they pretty much stopped working on them because sometimes its the choke which they don't want to work on. It could be the choke or the carb or the fuel pump or the fuel filter etc.

Can I buy the carb for $250 with gaskets compared to the dealers $304. with out gaskets YES. But then if its not the carb but just the choke I wasted $250 plus a few hours of replacing the carb and the frustration. SO off to the dealers on Monday and I will update afterwards.

Tags
ace, onan