Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Best Surge Suppressor for my Situation?

I know I need to protect myself from crappy park power that I will run into so a surge protector is on the short list.

The coach is equipped with a Precision Circuits Inc system that works with the Magnum 2000 watt inverter to supply additional power if shore or generator power is exceeded. It will also shed/shutdown items to prevent breakers from tripping. I can also monitor amperage on L1 and L2 along with voltage.

So... in order to not spend any unnecessary $$, what would be the least/best option for me:

1. Surge Guard, $80, 4200 joules protection, LEDs for open, reverse polarity, etc.

2. Progressive Industries SSP-50XL, Similar to the Surge Guard but only 1650 Joules of protection, $128. Is this product better than Technology Research's Surge Guard ?

3. Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, $360, 3580 Joules of protection, can monitor voltage, current, frequency and low and high voltage protection

4, Hughes Autoformer with Surge Protection, $428, Will boost voltage and keep it in a safe level, 4800 joules of protection.

Do I really need all the bells an whistles with the monitoring system I have in the coach?
jvalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A surge protector will sacrifice itself while absorbing surges. With a Progressive EMS, you have lifetime repair or replace. With TRC Surge Guard, you have only the first year of warranty. They do not offer repair, even if you want to pay for it.

I've dealt with Progressive Industries, they follow through and repair or replace what they sell. I recommend them with no reservations. An EMS is very necessary in RV parks in the summer, low voltage can be a damaging condition. I've also encountered miswired pedestals that might have caused damage if I remained connected to them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A surge protector will sacrifice itself while absorbing surges. With a Progressive EMS, you have lifetime repair or replace. With TRC Surge Guard, you have only the first year of warranty. They do not offer repair, even if you want to pay for it.

I've dealt with Progressive Industries, they follow through and repair or replace what they sell. I recommend them with no reservations. An EMS is very necessary in RV parks in the summer, low voltage can be a damaging condition. I've also encountered miswired pedestals that might have caused damage if I remained connected to them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Tests incoming elec lines before you attach shore power, best thing I ever bought. So much so I made a chain-lock to keep it from getting stolen.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburn View Post
This

Tests incoming elec lines before you attach shore power, best thing I ever bought. So much so I made a chain-lock to keep it from getting stolen.
If you have the space in a compartment, I'd recommend the permanently mounted model rather than the portable. It also allows you to add the remote display inside so you can monitor electrical conditions. It also solves the theft issue.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

TRC for years even took walk in's if your in the Clearwater Area to have the sacrificial parts replaced in your Surge Guard and if you got there early enough in the day they might be able to do it while you wait or at least before close of business. Unfortunately their web site has changed since the Southwire Equity Group bought them out in 2014 however they still have their contact info posted to receive direct support from them:

"
Technical Support

At TRC we pride ourselves on our Technical Support for our products and services. You may reach a member of our Technical Support team by calling:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST
Please call Tech Support at 800.780.4324 x 20311 or 727-812-0578 or
Send a Message to Technical Support"
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #6

Javalich - Since you live in Florida with constant low voltage issues that can last for days on end, even at your home, the best protection is voltage correction. I run a Surge Guard to protect and a Hughes AutoFormer to correct. So that even after the Surge Guard takes a hit protecting from a surge, the AutoFormer will still be able to Correct while offering Protection.

I went with Surge Guard since they are in my home town and had walk in service on their products making it so I could drop the unit off if it took a hit on my way home from work and pick it up the next day. What good is a lifetime warranty if you have to wait weeks or months on round trip shipping for out of town repairs.

In the past 11 years I have not taken a surge big enough to take out the Surge Guard however have been in many brown outs that dropped voltage to the edge of whats considered acceptable and others that have shut down the Surge Guard on its low voltage protection leaving you with the choice of hitting the low voltage bypass or go without power. Since installing the AutoFormer I have not had to face that any more. Before the AutoFormer I still lost AC blower motors and starter capacitors along with transfer switches (you would be amazed at how much damage low voltage on the cuspice can do in a few months) to those long running Florida brownouts on the edge of acceptability that if they only lasted a few moments/minutes would have done no real harm however in the last 10.5 years since installing the AutoFormer I have not had to replace any more transfer switch contactors, blower motors or starter capacitors even though I am many times plugged into just a 20 amp service.

With all that fancy equipment in your coach you probably need both since those systems especially if they are tied in with your transfer switch are very expensive to repair with one event costing more than both protection and correction devices combined.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
When my PI EMS needed service, a call to a tech and a few simple tests revealed the problem. A new unit arrived 3 days later.

Multiple threads and internet stories seem to reinforce the idea that TRC Surge Guard is one and done. I've never seen any ads touting their 'walk-in' service. I'm glad you're telling of it, because most seem to understand a TRC SG is junk after it goes bad, no repair available. PI is all American made, on one call to their tech line I talked to the company owner/founder, he is a RVer and answers the phone when he can.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-22-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

to my thinking, the "best" solution is both a PI EMS and an Autoformer. Orientation is: 1. power post, 2. Autoformer, 3. PI EMS, 4. RV.

The Autoformer will boost power in cases of a brownout - up to a point. If voltage drops too far, it disconnects.

PI EMS protects from multiple power issues. One spot I was at this year had a miswired hot/neutral. Camp electrician came out and looked at it and DID NOT FIX IT!!! Told me to use a different power post (glad I had my extension power cord). Another camper said it had been reported mulitple times...
If the Autoformer cuts out, the PI will disconnect your trailer, saving you from brownout problems.

At a minimum, I would go with the PI EMS.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The first thing I ever bought for my MH 7 years ago was a Progressive Industries EMS 50a. It has saved me many times. Once against an open neutral and many time when voltage drops because of high demands in a full up RV park. I have too many electronic devices that would not survive a voltage spike either.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
#3, plus #4 if you stay at RV parks with marginal power capabilities. Usually older and 30a only venues.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surge and line protection

We installed multi layer protection since it’s cheap compared to the damage potential. There is a permanently mounted PI EMS50 installed in the electrical compartment where the shore power cord hooks up. I also have an autoformer stored in the compartment if the ems indicates it is needed with appropriate jumper cords. To protect the autoformer I bought a surge protector from brand X since they have a warranty limitation. I consider it sacrificial. If it gets ripped I’ll replace it. I consider it cheap insurance to protect the autoformer.
Some who post here consider that overkill but it’s the same on my house. I have a whole house protector at the main panel and every outlet in the house which has electronics on it has its own suppressor. It’s penny wise and pound foolish to subject your equipment to surges. You could only be one storm away from a sad story.
NumberThree1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

Say I get a PI surge protector. Is it best to install it between the shore power cord and the transfer switch or between the transfer out to the coach panel? After transfer out would also monitor the genet power when it is the source. Is it necessary for me to monitor my own genset power?
jvalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
It's sort of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Between the transfer switch and the breaker panel, it does monitor both generator and shore power. That leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to surges and electrical errors from the pedestal.

Wired before the transfer switch, it protects the transfer switch and the RV from pedestal problems, but if your generator malfunctions, it leaves the RV open to bad power from that source.

I have mine wired to only protect from pedestal power issues, the largest source of problems. My generator could act up and damage things, but I do keep a Kill-o-Watt plugged in to monitor 120v power inside the RV.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When I was looking into surge protection I was impressed by all the above-mentioned products. I went with the Hughes Autoformer with Surge protection. My thinking was that it was portable and I could take it with me if I upgraded my coach someday.

But let me tell you, that sucker is HEAVY, and you have to remember to cable lock it. Whats more, you have to put a plastic garbage bag over it to protect it from sprinklers and rain.

I still think its a great product and it handles several chores, but in hindsight, I wish I had paid a little more and got the mounting kit. Or maybe gone with a less PITA option.

But what great insurance all of these products offer, technology can save us I guess. I am sure whatever you install will make your coach safer.
rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote