Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Brainiac

One of my favorite hobbies is outthinking myself and I did so yesterday. I had the great idea that I would put different outlet covers in the rig to easily denote the 120 vs the12 volt plugs. So, like the genius that I think I am, I shut down shore power from the barn, killed the inverter and made a list with a kill- a- watt. Then I turned on the inverter and did it again. Now I just need 6 totally different outlet covers so I can see at a glance what is what. So, my smug superior a.. Drives to the store and gets some really fancy outlet covers. God this is embarrassing . So, I get in the rig, sit down in front the first outlet marked for changeout, rip open the package and like someone had slapped me in the back of the head, realized that there is no center screw for the plate and none for the others. In fact, there are NO screws in the face of the plate at all. What? Do other makes do this? I have a Fleetwood. My gfi's appear to be the only " normal " cover I can find. How do you get these off? Befuddled.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #2

Not sure, had seen some odd things in a friends southwind...

Just place a strip of colored tape, a label made with brother printer, or color the Center with a permanent marker.

Ours came with labels, "inverter" is on the outlets supported by the inverter.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

The outlet and cover are one piece, cover does not come off...
Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The plates without screws snap on and are pried off. Home repair stores sell them also.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is pretty common in the RV world. Those are very shallow receptacles and are a displacement type. if you take the back cover off you can see how the uncut wires are pushed into V shaped brass terminals. The insulation is displaced and connection is made.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dymo Labels

It's when you get out thunk by your dog that you should worry.

A label making machine comes in very handy in an RV.

I have labels inside the wheel well of each tire with the normal air pressure and the date of tire manufacture.

When I installed new TV's I labeled every connector/wire.

The BOMB (box of many buttons) video control center has additonal labels showing which TV each set of buttons controls because the manufacturers labels are blocked by the cabinet frame.

I have a label above my speedometer with the hight of the rig.

Every filter is labeled with the date it was installed.

A label on the leveler panel reminds me to dump the air bags first.

But I HAVEN'T labeled the plugs! Now I probably will, and thanks for that.

Cheers
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The plates without screws snap on and are pried off. Home repair stores sell them also.
CAUTION: The face plates, on mine, are part of the outlet and DO NOT SNAP OFF, (if pried they will break/crack)!, here:
See pic , in post #11... here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/o4-sunrise-slide-120-outlet-problem-87453.html

Those outlets are used by most RV manufactures, (even the good ones), NOT because they are better, but because they are cheaper, and installation is faster. (IMO they are junk, but anything to save a buck).

The ones in my coach have two screws, (w/ toggles/anchors in back to hold the things in the wall).

Better to mark the ones you want, (with stick-on dots or a Sharpe). than to change them.

The romex wires are not fastened to the back with screws, simply pushed into slots/grooves in the back side, which cuts the insulation on the wire AND becomes the electrical connection.

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The ones without screws have removable face plates.
The ones with screws

do not have removable face plates. If the ones you have, have screws then the easiest thing to do is to label them.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote