Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #1

Brand new Thor Ace water heater trouble

So after 4 years of full timing in a small 24' class c I decided this full time thing is right for me and took the plunge. Bought a 2015 Thor Ace 30.1 three weeks ago in Flagstaff. I love it! Feels like a mansion compared to my tiny old C. Moved into my spot on the refuge where I'm working til Christmas and starting working/enjoying this life. Then 2 days ago I just suddenly had no hot water. Not even when I switch to LP. Called the service department back in Flag - 400 miles away - who of course could be ever so helpful if I just bring it back. Not likely I said. And that's when I realized that in all the owner's manuals there's not one for the water heater. Oops. Who thinks to check all the manuals before you drive away? So any ideas? It's an Atwood 6 gallon gas/elec. I did pull the 2amp fuse on the water heater and checked it. Not the problem. Appreciate any ideas that don't involve loading up and driving back to a shop.
horizonsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! We need a little more information, such as, did you have hot water at the PDI? Did you "ever" have hot water and did it just stop working? Do all other propane appliances work? Is possible the heater by-pass in the wrong position? Have you had the outside shower on and did you just turn it off at the hand spray an not at the main outside nobs? Help us out here.

It might be cheaper, for you to call a local "mobile RV service", rather than drive 400 miles.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #4

Wink

I am new to this forum, but I had the same problem with a new Atwood heater, wound up it was the thermostat. It was under warranty and after I got someone there it was a quick fix. They replaced the thermostat and eco
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstep View Post
I am new to this forum, but I had the same problem with a new Atwood heater, wound up it was the thermostat. It was under warranty and after I got someone there it was a quick fix. They replaced the thermostat and eco

Glad you're aboard. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Link to Atwood manual Water Heaters - Atwood Mobile however no troubleshooting info.

One troubleshooting site: Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting

Do a google search, lots of help.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang here!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #8

Thanks for all the helpful tips and for the link to the manuals. I saved the manual on my laptop and printed out the schematic. So I had hot water just fine using the 110 and then just quit. Not even when I switched to LP. Of course I had to work til dark both days so just did without until today. Turned on the furnace and it worked fine so that confirmed my idea that the ignition was the problem. My neighbor Jim came over and we just unplugged all connections, checked them, then firmly replaced. I went inside and turned 110 back on. In 20 minutes I had hot water. Still don't know why it went out but glad it's back.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Just hand Jim a "Cold One" and be happy.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #10

Spoke too soon I guess

Looks like I may have the same thermostat problem. Came home this morning after a 2 mile hike to find I had no hot water again. Went outside and pulled the wires Jim showed me and she fired up again. This is no way to live. I've only had the rv 3 weeks and I really do love it otherwise. Will be putting in a call tomorrow to the service dept. where I bought it. But I'm 400 miles away from there now.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try calling Thor Technical Support on 877-855-2867 since this is a warranty issue on a new coach. Explain to them that you are 400 miles from the dealer and request that they send a mobile technician to repair it onsite. Thor have done this for me on two occasions.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, thor, water, water heater