Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #15

Dielectric grease is NON-conductive

How exactly is di-electric grease used?
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #16

Eric_H_E,

Let me clarify the use of NO-OX.

You smear it on each let of the "plug" end and plug it into the pedestal at your camp site. Using a small screw driver, I smear it into each leg of the "socket" end of the shore power cord.

NO-OX is a conductor but as was mentioned by another poster, it blocks oxygen hence the name NO-OX. provided you clean all surfaces to bright metal, then apply the NO-OX, you will have NO corrosion on battery terminals, electrical connectors, slide switches, etc. As I said, I've used this for 40 years and can say I have NEVER had a corrosion problem on anything. I even use it on mini fuses if they're in an outside environment.

And no, I don't own stock in the company

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
No it don't
You are right, I was asleep or having a senior moment. I have no idea why I said the opposite.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
What Tincup is referring to is conductive grease. Dielectric grease is NOT conductive.
You are right. As I said on the other post, I was asleep or having a senior moment. I always use dow corning CONDUCTIVE grease.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #19

Regular grease does the same thing. Just keeps the oxygen from croading the terminals.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding lightening: If the connector is damaged by a lightening strike it may indeed look burnt.

It may also look like someone plugged it into a type C-4 outlet,, That is an outlet made out of Compound #4.... (The stuff that goes BOOM)

For that much damage to happen from a lightening strike, odds are you'd never find all the pieces as ... Well let me tell you a TRUE story and YES, I was there.

I used to dispatch Michigan State police from the 2nd District HQ building.

The tower in back of the place took a DIRECT HIT.. The dispatch center, some distance away but connected to the tower, Also in the basement of the building it was in, kind of looked a bit like the Forth of July fireworks show (Sparks flying right over my head)

Blew a feeder breaker down the hall,, Copper bits on the inside of the breaker box door.

Knocked out all our radios, even our digital data links, and our land line phones (took out the computer that ran them) Strangly.. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING reset, we came back on line about five minutes later.

The causaulities were: One computer in the telephone room, used to re-program the phone computer. which was turned off and off line at the time, Do not know if this was just a conicidence thing or not.

and 1/2 of a power supply board (Converter/charger) that runs the MIcrowave data links.. They have a 3 day battery back up, which is why they came back on line.. But the Radio Engineers showed me half that converter... They never did find the other half. It was gone.

That is what happens when lightening strikes.

By the way.. The folks who designed and built that tower.. THEY HAVE MY RESPECT. Big time.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #21

Lightning CAN blow things up, but not always. While I was away in the Navy, the power lines to our little house took a hit and took our TV out. When I finally got back to fix it, the strike had only taken out the first two components connected to the power cord; no burn marks or exploded parts. It was probably a distant strike that still had the power to burn out those parts yet didn't even touch the fuse in that circuit! Less than $5.00 in parts and it played again for years... There is no predicting what a lightning strike might do!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkcrawford View Post
The socket on the cord that mated with this was also burnt as well as the molded-in plug on the other end of the cord.

I don't know the exact cause but I suspect it was AC usage while plugged into a 15 amp source.
The most likely cause for the burning was corrosion on the contacts of either/both the plug and cord. These have to be checked and burnished clean at least once a year and probably more often. I suspect the most people never look.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EDJ.. You got it,

O the Mrineco Twist lock just twisting in in and out WITHOUT POWER may be enough to clean them I don';t know.. I do know I look at mine often.

I have cleaned the 30 amp park plug many times.. Likewise extension cord outlets.

But I've never seen any evidence of the Marineco needing cleaning]

But then I never connect "HOT" at that plug.

Tags
burnt, electrical, inlet