Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #1

Burnt fuse Norcold 1200 frig board #621721

August 2017 installed new Amish unit myself after the old Norcold failed (ammonia leak). RV Cooling unit Warehouse..One day out, one day in.
Went very cautious, slow and double checked every step. Drain tube tested with dumping a glass of water in the inside tray...AOK. Had to replace the icemaker drop tube...(plastic and was brittle)..Fired unit before reinstall.

Everything has been great up until yesterday am. Smelled burnt wires?. Shut 110 breaker down, propane worked still.

Took pictures on my cell phone again for wire location and after pulling cover, the F3 fuse holder was burnt on the right side and burnt the board in the immediate area. Fuse was AGC 5 but seemed like the inside strip was still in tact, burnt on right side. Fuse strip was a jagged metal as opposed to thin wire.
Did I have the wrong AGC type 5a fuse? I thought it was correct.

I have time on this repair, so I was going to put out a feeler on the OEM circuit board versus Dinosaur...which I will probably pull the trigger today or tomorrow. One blog on this forum, folks had issue with sensitivity with Dinosaur...

I checked both elements which came new with the Amish cooling unit, both tested at 64 ohms inside the burner sleeve. So I feel those are ok.

I feel the problem was that the fuse might not have blown causing the heat at the board, thereby ruining it....

So, any input would be gladly accepted....

My inclination is to replace the board with an OEM and leave the cover off after reinstall and watch to see it
blows the F3 or any other issues... (baby steps)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_093937.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	268365  
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

5A AGC is the correct AC Fuse ----AGC Fast Acting available at Home Depot/Auto Parts etc

Circuit Board is OLD........bad fuse clip/contact generated heat
Time for new board

Some issues have been posted about Dino Boards and swapping AC power.....and Dino has not be very helpful.
That is concerning.

Depending on Fridge Serial Number & production year decides which control board is OEM replacement
Check your serial number against this list of boards
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...rol-kit-624869
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

Burnt fuse Norcold 1200 frig board #621721

I was hoping you would respond...Old-Biscuit...
I just pulled the trigger on an OEM Norcold circuit board that was on eBay for $171.63 delivered....Stilled sealed in the static bag and Norcold shipping box.
I found a picture of the fuse that was in my board. It was the TOP one in the picture...
The new board already has fuses installled....so we will see...
If I purchase any more fuses, will op for the ones with the skinny element.

But logically after 16 years and 38,000 miles of shaking it hopefully will be fixed. Last year the stretch of I-5 from Stockton to Sacramento broke my Roadmaster tow bar. Found a welding shop in Woodland (nearby) and after 100 was on our way again... The roads out here are terrible...

Regards...Richard (and thank you for your service)
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #4

Update...United Parcel Service delivery sched for 12-9-19 Monday...might make it here sooner..
After install...will report results...
Old 12-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #5

UPS delivered circuit board yesterday at 5pm. I put on latex gloves and installed into the Norcold by 6pm...

After double checking my work, plugged in 110v and flipped inside 20amp breaker. Everything seemed ok...NO codes...

Auto selection went to AC...temp is set on 5..
After an hour, went to LP....watched burner fire...again no problems...
Went back to Auto selection and it went back to AC....again ok

Activated the icemaker...this morning Norcold temps were very good...20 in freezer and mid 30's in frig.....
Some ice made overnite...turned the icemaker back off...
So we are good for now....

If this cure sticks...apparently the 5amp fuse for AC at F3 shorted in the holder and cause the heat to fry the board in that immediate area.
Coach is 16 years old and we are 2nd owners....so that had to be the original board....
Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

...apparently the 5amp fuse for AC at F3 shorted in the holder and cause the heat to fry the board in that immediate area.

OR the fuse CLIP was loose/broken and high resistance generated heat which damaged board?

Fuse didn't blow----correct?

Glad you got the new board.....control/functions tested and working as expected.
Cold is good!!

Latex gloves..........???
Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

You are corrrect...5amp fuse was still intact on the old board..
Bad clip or connection at board.
New board had fuses already installed

I wore latex gloves in handling new circuit board.
Did'nt want to take a chance on static electricticity
ruining the board. Overkill??
Old 12-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by road glide View Post
You are corrrect...5amp fuse was still intact on the old board..
Bad clip or connection at board.
New board had fuses already installed

I wore latex gloves in handling new circuit board.
Did'nt want to take a chance on static electricticity
ruining the board. Overkill??

YES.....
Think about the environment it resides in.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #9

Just finished 1500 mile trip

December 26th left for our first trip to Quartzsite, Arizona....
Stayed in Salinas, then Santa Maria for 7 nites, Simi Valley for 2 and toured the Ronald Reagan Library and Museum.. moved on to Vista 3 nights by Oceanside and had a beautiful Sunday Brunch at Oceanside Broiler. From there trekked out to the California desert to Octillo Wells for 2 nights and visited Borrego Springs with all of the neat metal sculptures out in the desert all around town. Leapin Lizard RV park in Octillo Wells..(thank you Deborah).
Got lucky with no reservations and stayed at Split Rail in Quartzsite, Arizona for 5 nite (thanks to Anne). 3600 residents grows to 100,000?. The desert is spotted with RV's all over the place. The big tent had 650 vendors and we did that on the first day of opening...after 5 days we decided to head home...Stopped in Bakersfield at A Country RV park (Patrice!) and then on home...So Quartzsite is now off the bucket list...

So ALL of that and the refrigerator did wonderful...
Today I checked it parked in the barn.....32 degrees in frig and -1 in freezer?? Set on 5 with AC
The circuit board took care of the my issue...And the Norcold 1200LRIM I replaced the cooling unit fall of 2017 from RV Cooling unit warehouse..

Tags
fuse, norcold