Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #1

cable tv

I generally hook up my satellite tv when traveling in my motorhome which requires me to setup a tri-pod and position a satellite dish. If cable is offered by the park, I will use it because it is easier. But, every time I try using cable networks they come in blurry, any one know why? My television is digital LCD flat screen.
roglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
When you say blurry, I am thinking you mean snowy? Snow is pretty much the sole domain of old analog style signals. Unlike digital signals (like your satellite) which are usually an all or nothing proposition, analog signals as they attenuate (weakening of the signal) result in poor images. In the digital world, signals weaken to a point where the image usually just cuts out.

A bad cable, will result in a poor signal and consequently a poor image. It could be that the cable in your unit is old, has been damaged somehow, is of poor quality or you have a bad connector. If you run a test cable direct from the pedestal to your TV, you can first eliminate issues relating to the TV itself. It the picture is good, then you know you have a problem somewhere between the TV and the port you connect to the pedestal. If you have a switch box, remove it from the system and connect directly to TV, see if that makes a difference. Replacing connectors can be helpful if it just a bad connector (a bit hit and miss). If you do all that and still have no success, you can probably guess it is the cable itself. You may have to re-cable. Some will route under, along side or on the roof and then come down into the coach. It really depends on what you have and what is the path of least resistance.

Start with the easiest items first. Re-cabling is a last resort but if that is what is required, you will be using RG-6 Coax cable.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

Hi Roglin.
If you are wiring for a cable input use RG-59 coax. It is a little more flexible and may make rewiring easier. RG6, will pass all signals and is the only cable to use for satellite input from the dish. If the lower channels are 'blurry' chances are that you have a bad connector (s) or a bad F-81 ( the male connector found on the input side of the coach). If you have an antenna and the pictures are clear from this source, that pretty much points the flying finger of fate at the input cable and or connectors from the coach hook-up. If the pictures are blurry from this source too then I would look at connectors and cables from the TV back to any switch or combiner in the system. Good luck!