Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy70 View Post
What is an auto former? I am about to buy a simple voltage meter

Read back to some earlier posts. 17,18,and19 there is a link there too.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy70 View Post
What is an auto former? I am about to buy a simple voltage meter

https://hughesautoformers.com/
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #31

We just arrived at a campground that has a sign posted on every 30 amp electrical hookup box. "If campground is full, DO NOT draw more than 24 amps from this connection". I would guess this campground has low voltage problems like has been described in this thread?

There is only 3 of us here at the campground and I'm seeing a fuzz less than 120 volts so I don't think we have to worry. But I was curious about the sign.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk View Post
I think i'd like to push this a little. Can't they just change the tap on the transformer to raise the voltage?

I've been in a campground where this was done. It was mid summer and A/Cs were all running. The VAC was 118-122. About 10 PM, when the electrical usage dropped significantly, the VAC started hitting 132-135 and my Progressive started cutting power to the coach. I have a Autoformer for low voltage. Anybody got a simple solution to high voltage?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Campground Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We just arrived at a campground that has a sign posted on every 30 amp electrical hookup box. "If campground is full, DO NOT draw more than 24 amps from this connection". I would guess this campground has low voltage problems like has been described in this thread?

There is only 3 of us here at the campground and I'm seeing a fuzz less than 120 volts so I don't think we have to worry. But I was curious about the sign.

You will have to monitor your amp draw on your panel in the coach. It can't be done with a volt meter. Practice monitoring different loads to see what they might draw so you are aware of it when you need to be.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I've been in a campground where this was done. It was mid summer and A/Cs were all running. The VAC was 118-122. About 10 PM, when the electrical usage dropped significantly, the VAC started hitting 132-135 and my Progressive started cutting power to the coach. I have a Autoformer for low voltage. Anybody got a simple solution to high voltage?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Seems like they did what rpk suggested and as the load drops it creates a new set of problems. No easy solution except to run the generator for the rest of the evening.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
If your equipment is rated at 110V, then you can safely run down to 90%, or 99 volts. If it rated at 120V however, the lower limit is 108V so at 105/107V you are under-voltage.

One person mentioned a Buck-Boost transformer. A 10KVA Buck-Boost transformer to run one 50 amp outlet is about $1K, and weights close to 200 lbs, so that really is not an option.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A Hughes Autoformer is currently $ 548.00 plus shipping and weights 35 lbs.

While this is pricy and is fairly heavy, it is NOT as stated.

I have had one and used it very successfully for the last eight years. It performs flawlessly and I am glad to have spent the money.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've got the Hughes unit, but unfortunately I bought it from CW. It has 50 amp connections but internally it's only a 30 amp unit. Burned it up once and a friend rebuilt it, just a capacitor. It worked well when I didn't overload it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
If your equipment is rated at 110V, then you can safely run down to 90%, or 99 volts. If it rated at 120V however, the lower limit is 108V so at 105/107V you are under-voltage.

One person mentioned a Buck-Boost transformer. A 10KVA Buck-Boost transformer to run one 50 amp outlet is about $1K, and weights close to 200 lbs, so that really is not an option.

I'm not sure of the weight (I can pick it up with one hand) but you are a bit off on the price. This is a boost only unit though.

Hughes Autoformer 50 amp on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I have one, purchased 10 years ago elsewhere. and it works rather well... I have no power problems when park voltage is under 100, which is amazing.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok guys, no need to pile on. What I was talking about was a true transformer (which is larger and more expensive, not an autoformer. I was unaware of the Hughes autoformer, but it is obviously the correct piece of equipment for the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xformers.png
Views:	64
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	100982  

Tags
campground