Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Camping in 100+ degree temps

Any suggestion or precautions when camping in high temps. I'll be camping this next weekend with full hooks up but just wanted to see if I can help out the fridge or A/C at all. Thank you
id450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Park in the shade if possible, or at the very least get the refer side out of direct sun. If you can't get in the shade there isn't much you can do for the air con.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 and a new set of friends! You're already asking questions - and that's good - as you experience those high temps you can report back what worked for you, and what didn't - it helps others learn.

Recommend you keep all your shades pulled down - window and patio awnings out as winds permit - limit the opening and closing of the main door when possible - and do your cooking outdoors. If you've got an older rig and are not sure if your A/C coils are clean this is a good time to check - and be gentle with water or brush - the coils bend easily. If you've got a gas-fired frig a small extra fan placed to blow air across the coils will be helpful - open your external access cover and place the fan as you see best.

You can only expect about a 20 degree difference in ambient versus interior temp (depending on a lot of factors) so setting your A/C at 70 degrees versus ambient of 100 degrees will probably not get you to 70 - just be aware.

On our rigs we always 'cracked' a roof vent to allow some warmer air to escape - seemed to help with cooling things down - again, somewhat dependent on lots of factors. As Mr_D stated - shade is good.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP: do you have single or double pane windows? I forgot about having single pane's (as Steve brought up) as we haven't had a rig with then since 2000. Keeping the sun off them is important! Ours are also coated with a reflective coating and have three heat pumps so we're pretty well set for high temps. We have shades over every window as well as two awnings almost the entire length of the rig on the curb side.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shade is your friend. Try to position such that sun coming through the windshield is minimized. Keep blinds closed, especially the windshield shade. Awnings deployed is a big help, if on all windows is best. Start the air conditioning early so its not having to catch up after it gets warm outside.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #6

Thank you very much, all of that is really helpful. The fan idea is great. I'll also make sure I check the coils. I was thinking I'll set the a/c around 78 and let her rip. Thanks again
Old 06-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

Get some of the aluminum windshield protection in a roll. You can get it at camping world. Cut it to fit your windows and it will really help to keep the RV cool. It reflects a lot of sun light that adds heat to the inside.
Ed-Helen pns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
Get some of the aluminum windshield protection in a roll. You can get it at camping world. Cut it to fit your windows and it will really help to keep the RV cool. It reflects a lot of sun light that adds heat to the inside.

You can also get it at Lowes & Home Depot. Cheaper than at CW.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #9

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the A/C air filter. Make sure it's clean!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Attempt to park pointing toward the north so the sun hits the back rather than the windshield.

I tinted all my windows and made aluminized reflectors that I place in the front windows when parked (regardless if sun is shining through the windshield or not)

The important aspect of the window tinting isn't that it reduces light, but that it reflects 99% of infrared (heat). When I was testing the tint, I had a table surface that the sun was shining onto through the windows. When I put my hand on the table that was on the untinted side, the table was hot. On the tinted side, the table was cool. BIG difference.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowInsulate_6_600.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	130378  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

Got it I really appreciate the help.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

When you make covers for all your windows with the silver bubble material (reflextix) don't forget to do your shower dome and fan openings. In addition we blocked off our over the stove fan with it.

You can use the sticky backed velcro for the ceiling openings. That way it is easy to put up and take down.

Parking with your tail into the sun is the best way to limit heating up of the RV if you aren't in the shade. You can also cut the reflectix to cover the back wall inside in addition to any windows you have there.

After you put up your reflextix in the front window and side windows, draw the curtain behind them (if you have it). It helps give another insulating layer.

There is a silver metal foil tape we used to tape together pieces of relectix to get the best coverage of the oddly shaped windows such as the drivers and passengers side windows.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Micd, et al;

Someone on the forum used 1/2 inch foam insulation board inside their cabinets, against the exterior walls. purchase at Lowe's, Home depot, etc.

they used the kind that has the aluminized coating on both sides, and cut it a tiny bit oversize and simply pushed it against the wall in their cabinets.

I had in my brain "kitchen cabinets" and never considered bed room cabinets until I read your post.

Looks like I'll be revisiting the foam board project again before our trip to Arizona next month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InsulationBoard.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	130387  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #14

Don't know about facing north, that puts both sides in the sun morning and evening sun, I try for east so the afternoon sun is on the back. Also, our two speed fans on the A/C don't go into high until the interior is 8 degrees above the set point. We run the fans on high (manual setting) all day when in a hot situation.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping