Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Alarm CoStar 12RV-DB

Good morning,

My alarm keeps beeping and I have replaced the battery, but no stops. I had no other option but to cut the cable.

I saw in google that the company has very poor ratings.

Which devices can you recommend?

Thanks.
Walter
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Safe-T-Alert

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Safe-T-Alert

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Ok, Thank you....

Walter
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

The Costar co alarm I took out of our 2013 MoHo is labelled to replace it by 4/2020. So it lasted 5 years? I am going to order a replacement. It hasa connector for two 12 volt hot wires and one ground wire, and a 9 volt battery for backup.

Is there a different brand that is wired for 12 volt and has a 9 volt backup battery? I can't find one other than this Costar.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
The Costar co alarm I took out of our 2013 MoHo is labelled to replace it by 4/2020. So it lasted 5 years? I am going to order a replacement. It hasa connector for two 12 volt hot wires and one ground wire, and a 9 volt battery for backup.

Is there a different brand that is wired for 12 volt and has a 9 volt backup battery? I can't find one other than this Costar.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
I am in the same situation as you are... Wondering if you ever found a replacement Costar 12rv-db yet? It gets terrible reviews online, but there don't appear to be a lot of options if you want to have CO powered from at least two sources (i.e. hard wired and battery backup.. and in the case of the Costar 12rv-db, two separate hard-wired options plus battery backup).

As I continue to seek a source for a replacement Costar 12rv-db, I have ordered a simpler (cheaper too) home CO unit from Amazon that is just battery operated.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

Statgeek, Did you ever find a Costar 12rv CO detector? I'm in exactly your same position and need to replace mine. Preferably to wire it to the dual 12 volt sources or at least wire one circuit to the 12 volt system with a small battery backup. They seem to no longer make it?
flaresadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaresadog View Post
Statgeek, Did you ever find a Costar 12rv CO detector? I'm in exactly your same position and need to replace mine. Preferably to wire it to the dual 12 volt sources or at least wire one circuit to the 12 volt system with a small battery backup. They seem to no longer make it?
Nope. That product is no longer made. I replaced it with a different product that uses only one 12V hardwire, and no battery backup. I also added a battery-only CO detector so I now have two hard-wired ones (one of the costars is still functioning) and the battery-only one.

I can't quite figure out why no other company followed suit with the Costar design. I liked the dual-12V (house and chassis power) plus the battery backup.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the information. I just ordered an MTI ( Safe-T-Alert) mod 5-541-WT from Amazon. It's about the only one I could find that's hard wired for 12v and is approved for RV use. Too bad it's rectangular and not round because I'm not sure it will cove the previous units mounting holes but, if not I'll do something to trim it out.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I just ordered an MTI ( Safe-T-Alert) mod 5-541-WT from Amazon. It's about the only one I could find that's hard wired for 12v and is approved for RV use. Too bad it's rectangular and not round because I'm not sure it will cove the previous units mounting holes but, if not I'll do something to trim it out.
The one that failed in my 2013 RV was in my master bedroom, and it was the type that is NOT flush mounted, so it stuck out from the wall about 1 1/2". Furthermore, it was located directly adjacent to a cabinet door, preventing that cabinet door from opening all the way.

So when I replaced the dead unit, I decided to buy and install a FLUSH mount. I'm much happier with the end result. I posted pictures of the mod somewhere on this site that shows the whole install. I'll see if I can find that thread and share it here again..\

Edit:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/flee...ml#post2753332
Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #10

Retired Fire Service RVer's
JMHO....I WOULD NOT trust a hard wired 12volt CO detector.
We put in two battery powered CO detectors we bought at the local hardware store...one up front and one in the bedroom.
This way they are ALWAYS on...same as your smoke alarms...yes, alarms...you need more than one.
These detectors are available almost anywhere and they work AND they are inexpensive...or order from Amazon.
We also have two combustible gas detectors...cheap insurance. I found a good, relatively inexpensive, combustible gas detector on Amazon.
Someone told me years ago..."....one is none, two is one, and three is sufficient...". Hope this helps....
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic 1 View Post
JMHO....I WOULD NOT trust a hard wired 12volt CO detector.

We put in two battery powered CO detectors we bought at the local hardware store...one up front and one in the bedroom.

This way they are ALWAYS on...same as your smoke alarms...yes, alarms...you need more than one.

These detectors are available almost anywhere and they work AND they are inexpensive...or order from Amazon.

We also have two combustible gas detectors...cheap insurance. I found a good, relatively inexpensive, combustible gas detector on Amazon.

Someone told me years ago..."....one is none, two is one, and three is sufficient...". Hope this helps....

The only reason I finally settled on the MTI Industries 65-541-WT hard wired unit was that it was the only one I could find that was RV certified and for temperature operations lower than 40f. When my coach is in storage the temperature range can be outside of residential allowances. I also figured that if there's power to the coach, which there will be if I'm inside, then I know it will work. But I'm okay with the battery models if they can handle the temperatures and the moisture.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

The only reason I finally settled on the MTI Industries 65-541-WT hard wired unit was that it was the only one I could find that was RV certified and for temperature operations lower than 40f. When my coach is in storage the temperature range can be outside of residential allowances. I also figured that if there's power to the coach, which there will be if I'm inside, then I know it will work. But I'm okay with the battery models if they can handle the temperatures and the moisture.
You will always get differing opinions so I will offer up mine.

Personally I wouldn't trust battery powered LPG and CO detectors. I use the 10 year battery powered smoke alarms but for LPG and CO the puny AA or AAA batteries just don't seem like a robust system that would hold up like my large battery banks that I use on board my coach.

I have lived full-time in my coach for over 12 years now with both hardwired LPG and CO alarms and frankly have no worries about NOT being protected.

You will be fine.

My first set of alarms lasted over 10 years, even though they say 5 years max, before sounding off the End-Of-Life alarm. I replaced them 3 years ago with the same MTI Safe-T-Alert alarms. I just had to replace the LPG one again as it was false alarming so the sensor went TU. Probably because it sits very near the floor and sucks up all kinds of crap.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My solution was to keep the RV as close to factory spec (I.e. 2 hard-wired detectors), and to also add a 3rd battery only, but non-RV-specific unit.

I figure that even though we tend to gripe about the RV builders, they do have legal liabilities and build to minimize risks. This likely includes these detectors for the average user/situation. So keeping things "factory" is likely the safest possible, and also reduces MY liability, should something go wrong.

But then...I added a third unit too, that goes beyond RV build requirements (i.e. the battery-only unit from Home Depot). This one will likely crap out in a year or so because it was inexpensive and not built for temp and humidity swings, but it can be easily replaced.

Just my 2 cents.