Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Carefree Eclipse Motor Replacement

Any words of wisdom on replacing the motor assembly on an open awning? I have the service manual and it seems like there are a couple of areas on care. I had a gear break in two earlier today. I'm a bit surprised given the size of the gear.

I hope I can find a motor assembly tomorrow as we are supposed to leave the park in Sarasota tomorrow.

Thanks,
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

Hi Gil,
Did you get the little charmer replaced?
I had done one back in April of 2009 and tried to just replace the damaged gear but could not find one. They only sold the entire motor & gear assembly.
The replacement is fairly easy but you need a ladder and a method to hold and stabilize the roller when you remove it from the arm/motor head. The directions are pretty good. I did have to use a "strap wrench" to put enough torque on the roller to align it with the new motor once it was installed in the head.
You may want to use a second person to prevent the roller from falling as it will probably damage it. . . . and they're lots more $$s.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 05-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

Mike,

I did. Not having a long ladder and helper, I paid some one to do it TWICE! The first guy did it while open, which is where it was when the gear broke. I helped him, but he could have done it by himself. He sat the roller on his shoulder while replacing the moter assembly. When he was done it would not retrack unless you gave it a couple inches of help.

The second guy, at Lazydays, replaced the new motor assembly assuming it was bad. Same problem. As it turns out the first guy adjust the arms to an end setting and this caused too much strain on the motor. We moved the setting by one hole and it works fine. I suspect the awning material must be about 1" too long.

Total cost: 701! ($321 motor, $140 first labor bill, $240 second labor bill)

Thanks for asking,

Gil
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well guys, I'm up against the same thing. My Carefree Eclipse main awning motor/gear assembly stripped the shaft hole in the drive cup that turns the roller. Motor and gears are good. They do not sell the cup assembly separately, so it's the whole assy. to be change.

I however have an additional problem, I can get the motor assy. in about 3 days but the RV repair station is covered up with work and can't get to it for about two weeks.(storms in the area have destroyed lots of awnings here). The CG next door(where we are staying) is EXPENSIVE and I'm thinking(read NEED!) of trying to do the replacement myself...and anxious to hit the road as well.

Is there a website with the info I need to safely do this r&r on my Eclipse and to get the instructions on 'how to' as well? I love being between a rock and a hard place. Thanks, Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, for those that may have this problem(or in the future) with their Carefree Eclipse, I found this site for the service manual for this awning. Since I still have a couple of days before the motor/gear/end cap assembly arrives, I would still appreciate any tips/gotchas anyone might have on replacing the motor assy. Thanks, Bob

Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

The replacement is easy if you have two tall ladders and two people. The service manual is well written. Here's all you need to do (extended or retracted). The awning need only be a bout 6 inches from the coach or any position extended beyond that.
-- If you do this with the awning less than fully extended you should tie wrap the arms just that they won't try to open any further. Better yet, do this with the awning fully extended.
-- Turn off power.
-- Take the cover screws off over the motor (top and bottom). Don't lose the screws. Remove the bottom cover.
-- Remove the wires connected to the top cover and note which went were. Take the upper cover off.
-- Disconnected the wires from the motor, again noting which goes where.
-- If you have the direct response sensor, remove it from its 2 sided tape holding it to the motor/gear assembly.
-- Remove the nut hold the motor assembly to the arm. Use tape to hold the bolt in place so it doesn't fall out and you drop the washers.
-- Now you need the second person. They will hold the awning tube.
-- With the new motor on the ladder or someone there to hand it to you, remove the self tapping screws holding the motor to tube.
-- Pull the tube out and then lift the motor out. Reinsert the new motor and reverse the procedure just described. Note you may have to spin the roller tube to have it align with the new motor assembly.

With both people and parts in place this procedure will not take more than 30 minutes.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A BIG 'THANK YOU' to ImagineIF. I've been reading (over & over) the service manual on the open and closed method of changing out this motor. Your added info gives me the confidence that we can do this. I don't think (more research needed) we have the XL model with the idler spring...kinda scary, those springs. At any rate, when the new motor arrives, we're gonna give it a shot...thanks again, Bob

Oh yeah, I forgot. So you think the change out of the motor with the awning out a few inches is the way to go as opposed to full extension?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #8

I would do it at full extension, if possible. That way you don't have to hold the extension arms in place as the gas cylinders will be fully extended and not fighting you.

The model information MAY be on the drum when fully extended on a paper label. My main awning is huge and it's not a XL, so in my case no need to worry about the spring. I'm guessing my drum is 20+' long.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I would do it at full extension, if possible. That way you don't have to hold the extension arms in place as the gas cylinders will be fully extended and not fighting you.

The model information MAY be on the drum when fully extended on a paper label. My main awning is huge and it's not a XL, so in my case no need to worry about the spring. I'm guessing my drum is 20+' long.
Our CF Eclipse is not of the XL variety and following your suggestions, the R&R went well. Many thanks for your help and as much as we've enjoyed our stay there in Nashville, we'll be hitting the road this Sunday morning. Bob

Old 05-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Well guys, I'm up against the same thing. My Carefree Eclipse main awning motor/gear assembly stripped the shaft hole in the drive cup that turns the roller. Motor and gears are good. They do not sell the cup assembly separately, so it's the whole assy. to be change.

I however have an additional problem, I can get the motor assy. in about 3 days but the RV repair station is covered up with work and can't get to it for about two weeks.(storms in the area have destroyed lots of awnings here). The CG next door(where we are staying) is EXPENSIVE and I'm thinking(read NEED!) of trying to do the replacement myself...and anxious to hit the road as well.

Is there a website with the info I need to safely do this r&r on my Eclipse and to get the instructions on 'how to' as well? I love being between a rock and a hard place. Thanks, Bob

sorry it took 7 years to reply
we had the same problem a rounded out shaft hole and I read that you could simply switch the cap from the other side of the awning because they are identical.

I switched ours it was easy and cost nothing.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote